Paying more than advertised on website
mkeel09

While I wait "an hour or more" to reach a representative, I guess I'll post in the forum. 

Why am I paying more for a slower plan than is advertised on the Verizon website? It does have a disclaimer at the bottom saying "Limited-time offer for new TV & Internet res. custs. Promo rates via bill credits and increase after promo period." Even if Verizon can use this disclaimer to get away with charging existing customers more, it demonstrates poor treatment of loyal customers. I've been using Verizon Fios for at least 3 years now and they just keep charging me more every year for speeds I don't need. Is there a way I can downgrade back to a 25/25 Mbps plan and pay the appropriate cost for the plan? 

My bill:image

From the Verizon website: https://fios.verizon.com/fios-plans.html 

0 Likes
Re: Paying more than advertised on website
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

All service providers give new customers better deals than existing.
Same for cable and wireless.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

You see it comes down to if there is competition in your area.

if there is and you can get a faster speed you may see cable as an alternate to Fios.

right now Verizon has no incentive to deal with you as an existing customer.

however if you call in to cable and get say 100/5 which is what is in most markets the Fios retention department may adjust the price for you.

Get the deal in writing and trust no one verbally. 

You may may find that Verizon won’t budge, but with cable there is no fee for their modem (versus the Fios router charge) and they price for internet is no tax or surcharges so if it’s $50,$60 a month you still come out ahead.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would think most cable companies either charge a monthly rental fee for modem or you can buy your own.

Same for Verizon. Pay a monthly rental or purchase outright.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Speaking solely for former Time Warner Cable which is now Charter Spectrum the fee was $5 extra a month to rent their modem. Charter has done away with it so that is a $60 savings per year.

if you rent the Fios router at $10 that is $120 or even double of what cable use to charge. So with Fios the customer is being overcharged. And Fios charges tax where cable did not. So more cost to the consumer.

now a person can buy their own router and use it on Fios. So say a one time charge of $50,$60,$90 up to a high end router of $400

verizon will sell a Quantum Gateway G1100 for as low as $99 sometimes or $150 however some customers have also received the Fios routers for free.

in this case a rental will continue far above the actual one time expense.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

My guess is even if you got a free modem, you still needed a router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

My guess is even if you got a free modem, you still needed a router.

Not required on cable internet for connected service. However you would be correct if you want WiFi. They do have combo units for extra per month. ($5)

or you can buy your own router/modem combo if you want.

0 Likes
mkeel09

I appreciate the discussion on modems and routers. I can clearly cut costs by simply buying my own (which I know I should do), but that wasn't the original concern I had.

It's about the clearly large and disproportionate discrepancy between the cost of plans for new customers advertised vs for long term customers. Stripping away all of the distracting artifical "discounts", the bottom line is that they're charging me TWICE as much as what is advertised for new customers. I can understand that it's an effective tactic to get new customers by giving them a good deal, but DOUBLE the price for long term customers seems particularly cruel. How is that a good business practice? 

Here's the math:
$39.99 for 100/100Mbps = $0.40/Mbps
$59.99 for 75/75Mbps = $0.80/Mbps (after all "discounts")

Add to that the fact that I simply don't need 75/75Mbps. I was fine with 25/25Mbps and didn't notice much difference when they complimentarily increased my speed to 50/50Mbps and then 75/75Mbps. I mean yeah, I really appreciated that they did that free of charge (initially, but then raised the price later), but what I would appreciate more is if they gave me an option to keep my original speed but lower the monthly cost. Like even if I were to keep my current cost per Mbps, but lowered the speed to 25/25Mbps, the cost should be $19.99/mo. That would be vastly preferable. (Better yet, it would be $9.99/mo for 25/25Mbps for new customers).

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

However that is not going to happen.

like I wrote to you previously they have no incentive to lower the rates on a existing customer. They assume you will not just up and leave. However with cable broadband in many markets Fios will try to dicker ONLY IF YOU HAVE A BROADBAND PROVIDER LINED UP and will actually switch.

the issue is the churn in and out is a normal cost of doing business. When enough Fios customers leave then Verizon will bargain for your business again.

until then I would simply go to a cable broadband provider and after 30 days or even 45 days Verizon will give you new customer rates.

oh the side banter was just a savings discussion not to deflect your post.

mkeel09

Thank you. This is helpful. Exploring options with another provider is probably the best course of action. Unfortunately, in my apartment complex it's either Comcast or Verizon, which is restrictive in terms of leveraging a better deal. Comcast does clearly have a better deal ($29.99 for 25/25).

I'm just frustrated that I have to play this game with them in order to get a fair deal. Yes, I know, that's the way the world works.

0 Likes