Perhaps if Verizon was a little more upfront with FiOS information.......
cdavis0720
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would not find myself debating dropping my existing DSL and home phone service with Verizon along with Directv service (not with Verizon) and going to Comcast and their triple play. .... I am in South Philadelphia and FiOS bundles are available ONE BLOCK south of me. This has been verified both with Verizon personnel working on a DSL problem at my location as well as using Verizon's availability checker and plugging in an address one block south of mine...... Yet no one can tell me when or even IF there are plans to include my street in their FiOS upgrades. I see the trucks two blocks south of me..... 4 blocks south of me.....and cannot find out when plans are to upgrade my particular block..... Verizon DSL service had been working okay for me for about 8 months but about 3 months ago became very irratic and would lose connection over and over again..... after playing the tech support game over and over again and having three different tech visits to my home to rule out any issues with my home wiring the problem persists.... this is due to the poor condition of the box behind my house that services the entire block. This box is in horrid condition with no cover to protect the wires..... is overloaded to the point of there being no clean "pairs" left to switch my line to... even the techs that come to my home tell me that particular box is known to all of the DSL/Phone techs in the area as one of the worst ones in the area...... I don't expect Verizon to replace the entire box with the new technology (FiOS) coming that I'm sure will lighten the load on that box (sorry not sure if that is considered an ONT or what you call it) as customers upgrade to FiOS. I've called Verizon multiple times trying to get an answer and have heard responses ranging from it should be available in about a month to it should be sometime this year to we have no idea..... I was at a Verizon store picking up a new cellphone and was told by a FiOS rep there that it is not available in the 19147 zip code at all which just isn't true as I know of some installs already done and have verified it through the website that it is available as I said one block south of me..... She finally agreed that was true after spending 10 minutes on the phone to find out that is the case...

What this all boils down to for me (and I assume other potential customers) is this. My Directv service has been okay but for a few reasons I'm looking at other options. My DSL service has been really bad the last few months so I'm looking to change that. I currently have Verizon for home phone, DSL, and wireless and would prefer to stay with Verizon BUT cannot get a straight answer to if or when FiOS may be available to me. I could call Comcast today and get their triple play option installed probably within a week (and that's taking todays gigantic snowstorm into account.)

I have to imagine that Verizon must have some plan as far as what order they do what block...... how hard would it be to make that information less than impossible to get? Although from the random way I see their trucks doing the work in my area I'm not 100% sure they don't just throw a dart at an area map to start the week and go from there.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Perhaps if Verizon was a little more upfront with FiOS information.......
cdavis0720
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply spacedebris. Around my area it's more running the Fibre above ground and as I said I've seen the work being done one block south of me. Currently they are working 4 blocks south of me. It does seem to be pretty random where they go. I understand from a business standpoint not wanting to make it public when a particular block is planned. As I stated in my last post on this matter that due to not being able to have a general idea when they plan to do my particular block I've mad the decision to go with the Comcast triple play. That is being installed this coming Friday. I will be dropping my Verizon home phone service as well as my DSL.  The good news is that since I took a 12 month promotional rate with Comcast that does not involve a contract, should Verizon actually do my street at any point I can and most likely will happily switch back to Verizon.....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
EEEEEE
Enthusiast - Level 3

And what if they told you it would be available in 6 months and then it wasn't?  Plans change.  That is why they probably know that they are or are not going to wire your street but they don't want to tell you the answer.  They know the risk that they might lose you, but if they give you false hope they are going to lose you anyway and you'll be even more mad.  So really, you either wait or swich....do whichever makes you happier.

cdavis0720
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand what you're saying EEEEEE. I would be more inclined to stay if they had said we are looking at doing your particular block within the next 3 - 6 months or something.... ANYTHING.  Being that there is no information coming at all I've decided to go ahead with the Comcast triple play option available to me. The upside is I am getting a good promotional rate for the next 12 months with NO CONTRACT so if Verizon does decide to make FiOS available to me I can make that switch if it seems the way to go at that time.  The downside is that for the time being I"m dropping my home phone service and DSL with Verizon so they lose me for now anyway. Is it what makes me happy???? Time will tell on that one.... If within that 12 Month period FiOS becomes available to me I'll most likely switch back to Verizon. Either way everyone's life goes on..... I still stand by my original post that they should make their general plan less than impossible to know about.

Carl

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This has been covered MANY times. And unforturnatly, your going to get the same answer that everyone else has been given. Like it or not, right or not... Verizon does not and will not advertise or otherwise inform the public of future location dates. Although some have found a web site or two that shows some future plans, they do not give any time line. Chances are your block will be done, the question is when? Verizon has said that 80% of the Verizon footprint will be converted by 2020 (recently they have also said that they are going to slow down the expansion so that date is likely going to be pushed back as well).  Verizon said a long time ago that they do not provide the timeline because they want to keep it from the competition. To prevent them from going out in the weeks prior to Verizon becomming available and locking everyone into contracts. And while this sounds good from a business standpoint, its also bad because potential customers cannot make plans.

Now that being said, you will likely know before anyone else. Generally, Verizon will go out, tear up the streets and burry the fiber line. Once they are finished and clean up, then it will generally be available for subscription within 6-8 weeks. Granted this is just from observation and is no way a definate, but it is better than nothing, but not by much.

cdavis0720
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply spacedebris. Around my area it's more running the Fibre above ground and as I said I've seen the work being done one block south of me. Currently they are working 4 blocks south of me. It does seem to be pretty random where they go. I understand from a business standpoint not wanting to make it public when a particular block is planned. As I stated in my last post on this matter that due to not being able to have a general idea when they plan to do my particular block I've mad the decision to go with the Comcast triple play. That is being installed this coming Friday. I will be dropping my Verizon home phone service as well as my DSL.  The good news is that since I took a 12 month promotional rate with Comcast that does not involve a contract, should Verizon actually do my street at any point I can and most likely will happily switch back to Verizon.....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/pa/files/PAFTTP020110.pdf   <~~construction locations

http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/pa/

few cities have this info posted, pa is one that does.     but space debris is right, its not 100% info.  just give syou an idea of what's on the docket.

craig-69

Well, I have been waiting since 1995 for Verizon to provide internet service in my area in Big Bear City, Ca. What is the current date Verizon 2850?? And Verizon's  answer to Internet TV is DirecTV??? This is the company that has many hundreds of lawsuits filed against it including the Washington State Attorney General. Nice to know they are partnering with ethical companies...

0 Likes
cdavis0720
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, Comcast came and installed their triple play Friday morning as promised.  The install guys were very professional but to be honest, a cable install using the existing wiring isn't all that difficult compared to a FiOS install. They were able to hook up everything so my alarm system works so thats great... Monday I called Verizon and dropped the DSL, and Phone service. My only connection with them now is with our cell phone Family plan.

The sad part is that I was more than willing to stay with Verizon if they had either made FiOS available or given some solid information as to when it could be expected. Or even fixed the ongoing DSL issues that were related to the box in the alleyway behind my house.... the one shared by the whole block.

I am still hopeful that FiOS will become available while I'm in the promotional price period with Comcast. Luckily I'm not in a two year contract.... just a 12 month promotional rate.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply.

Carl

0 Likes
NoMax

6-8 weeks to get FIOS after the cable is buried in your street is bull.  I am in Bucks county PA. Verizon was on my street in July of 2009 and buried the fiber.  The end of the fiber is still sticking out of the ground at the end of my block not connected to anything.

Why did they spend time to bury the cable if they did not inted to follow through and provide service????

NM

0 Likes
3pointers

They installed Fios in my neighborhood summer of 2008, but it was not actually available until summer of 2009.  They said it had something to do with getting permission from the FCC (?) to offer it in my area even though it was ready to go. 

0 Likes