Phone quality affected by Internet activity?
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

Today I was sitting on hold waiting for a person to speak with and being bored, I was surfing the net. I noticed a bit slower response time than I was used to, and switched over to Speedtest.net.

Imagine my surprise when the music from my on-hold call completey broke up and became fragmented while the speed test was running. I tried it 3 times more and every time I put a significant load on my Internet connection, my phone service quality deteriorates and becomes  broken up and unusable.

Is this other people's experiece as well?

I have the 25/25 plan. Was getting about 20/16 but that was not significant, since this PC is wireless connected.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone quality affected by Internet activity?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you also using a Cordless phone that runs on the 2.4Ghz frequencies? Most phones run at a lower power than Wireless Access Points and laptop Wireless radios do. Under heavy utilization it's not a surprise to hear of a cordless phone getting choppy.

If the same issue occurs on a Wired phone, then we can go from there to see what's happening.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you also using a Cordless phone that runs on the 2.4Ghz frequencies? Most phones run at a lower power than Wireless Access Points and laptop Wireless radios do. Under heavy utilization it's not a surprise to hear of a cordless phone getting choppy.

If the same issue occurs on a Wired phone, then we can go from there to see what's happening.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

most cordless phones have a channel button or a frequency button.  Try all the different frequencies on it and test it on each.

0 Likes
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

This explanation make much more sense than my initial hypothesis. Occam's Razor tot eh rescue. Thanks!

0 Likes