Please Verizon, be my white knight and save me from this nightmare.
iMarkos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings everyone,

I have a very common issue. I have moved out of a fairly populated area, where I had amazing Fios internet, into a "rural" area. Although, it isn't so rural. I live in a town called Galena in Maryland. As a result, I am cursed with Wildblue satellite internet (which, by the way, is full of liars and probably thieves... very dirty business tactics)

Anyway, the neighborhood that I live in is about a mile from a main road. A half mile in from the main road is a newly built development of about 12-15 homes. From what I have been told, these new homes have access to DSL and/or Fios. Unfortunately, Verizon has not pulled wires down another half mile into my neighborhood which has significantly more family homes with eager potential customers. A couple of us have been debating starting up a petition to show verizon that there are people willing to subscribe to their service for a good while once the wires are pulled.

So my question is this, what do I need to do in order to convince Verizon to want to pull wires down another half a mile. As I said, we are stuck with air cards or satellite internet. 

When I was still living with my parents, we always used verizon. First DSL for close to a decade and then Fios for the last couple of years. I have never had any issues with Verizon customer service, or billing or anything. When I try to call Wildblue customer service, I get treated like crap. They give me useless condescending remarks and tell me there is something wrong with my system when wildblue doesn't even try to connect to Skype... sorry, went off there for a second..

So yeah, Verizon and Verizon community, please let me know what I need to do to achieve a proper internet connect in my surrounding neighborhood. I will set up petitions and talk to the mayor. Whatever needs to get done, I will do.

Please, save us.

Iggy and the Gregg Neck Rd community.

Re: Please Verizon, be my white knight and save me from this nightmare.
tns
Master - Level 2

Hope they expand to you.

However for awhile they have been concentrating on finishing areas where agreements have been already reached.

Now the new CEO has been talking about wanting to start expanding again, but that is still in the future.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Is your neighborhood and folks down the road in the same township?

0 Likes
iMarkos
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe so. I don't think this town is fancy enough for multiple townships. I really don't know if they get Fios, but I know for a fact they get DSL.

The folks in my neighborhood are told they can't get DSL, but some people keep bugging verizon until they get lines pulled directly to their house...

I figure if Verizon has already been down here pulling singular lines to certain peoples' homes, they should be able to expand at this point

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The question is now, in terms of DSL, do you know what speeds the people in the new neighborhood are able to obtain? In addition, does your street come out of the same copper trunk as the new neighborhood or lead to the same equipment/CO? You might need a Verizon field tech or engineering person to take a look into this for you, but if people in the new neighborhood are able to score 3Mbps service, you should be at least able to get 768kbps service. The only exceptions to that would be due to your line being on a different, much longer trunk like to a CO or another remote, or due to the lines being in a bad enough condition to actually make DSL impossible to provide without extensive service.

But quite honestly, if the new neighborhood doesn't use FiOS, but instead only has DSL, perhaps Verizon could sink down some money to install a remote pole-mounted DSLAM. They honestly don't cost as much as full blown cabinet/rack enclosures, but they do require some line work to be done to provide power to them (they can use regular 48v provided from a copper plant). If Verizon already has some fiber running along a location where a DSLAM could be placed, they could connect the DSLAM to the Fiber, instead of using T1/T3 circuits back to the CO.

Not saying they will install something like this, since it is very difficult to get Verizon to do, but I'm simply trying to help get some information out to perhaps give you and your neighbors some more weight. Those remote pole-mounted DSLAMs can hold 16-32 people depending on the model and supply ADSL2+ service, so it's worth a shot to ask about that.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

It may help to know th age of your house (neighborhood).  In a subdivision near me, a similar story was told.  Brand new homes, townhouses, apartments, etc. But no one could get high speed service.  The story was that the whole neighborhood was wired with remote modules connected to the CO with T1s. Using compression techniques, it was a simple matter to put 96 or more phones on to a 24-channel T1.  Great for voice, terrible for data.  These folks could get 9600baud dial-up but nothing else. To get higher dialup rates required copper to the CO (or a dedicated T1 channel) which was used up quickly and became unavailable.  There was no room in the remotes to add DSLAMS, and when they did they were no where near enough for the demand. Consequently, everyone went to satellite.  When 3g and 4g came out, they switched. 

I think after having spent 'a lot' of money to build out the subdivision they were very reluctant to rip it all up or double down with more remotes (more DSLAMS).  I think it is only in the past few years they have gone in with FIOS.

iMarkos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure how old my neighborhood is, but I know the house is at least 30 years old.

I just find it weird that certain people in my neighborhood got Verizon to come and install DSL lines, but others can't. 

either way, I think i will go around town and get folks to sign a petition. I am pretty sure I can get at least 40 households to sign.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

"I have a very common issue. I have moved out of a fairly populated area, where I had amazing Fios internet, into a "rural" area. Although, it isn't so rural. I live in a town called Galena in Maryland. As a result, I am cursed with Wildblue satellite internet"

Are Verizon you phone carrier?  If not did you think of changing to Verizon being your phone carrier?  Before doing that you could go to the verizon site and see if they support DSL to your address. If They don't you could check other carriers for DSL access.

0 Likes