Re: Please bring Fios to Rochester, NY
Sharpie1
I am outraged of the Time Warner decision for data usage fees.  They are taking advantage of the community and for me a family of 5 already struggling.  It would nice to have another carrier here other than the Monopoly of Time Warner.  Please look at this as a major business opportunity for your company and fulfill a need in Rochester that would help thousands of families.
0 Likes
xantipi

Everyone I talk to about this bemoans the lack of FIOS.  I think that a bunch of people would change to FIOS, just because our community is so angry with Time Warner, even if the caps don't affect them. 

My family already has Verizon cell phones & we have been considering getting rid of our land line anyway.  We would switch from our Time Warner All-In-One package to get TV & internet through Verizon & drop our land line.

I personally know of around 20 families who would sign with Verizon right now, if the papers were in front of them.  I would think that Rochester isn't the only one of the "test" markets where FIOS can make a killing.  Time Warner chose our markets because of the lack of FIOS.  It only makes sense you should choose your markets based on the fact that Time Warner is preparing to shoot themselves in the foot.

0 Likes
vztelecom
Contributor - Level 1

http://www.nytvchoice.com/ 

and

www.verizon.com/about/community/ny

Check it out.for all the information on FIOS in NY.

Message Edited by vztelecom on 04-08-2009 03:14 PM
0 Likes
v_guru1
So why cant Verizon come to the city of Rochester? Come on give me an answer and not some NYC **bleep**. Rochester is one of the top aeras for technology so why cant you give the city of rochester service.
0 Likes
acurshen1

Beware of what you ask for as you may get it. I live in North Jersey where FIOS came a couple of years ago. I had been a DISH subscriber for 4 years but recently fell for FIOS $94.95 come-on.(I now get a bill for $177) The FIOS service doesn't come close to DISH. While the quality of their HD TV is about the same their boxes only hold about 20 hrs of TV against DISH' 50 hrs. The program guide is very cluttered and hard to understand and also gives very little info about the programs. The remotes aren't RF so you have to point them at the equipment. There are also major reception problems which neither Verizon nor Motorola, who make their boxes can figure out. The picture will cut out or flicker on certain channels. The worst problem I have had so far is that my Sharp Aquos LCD TV cuts out and the screen goes green for a few seconds and then returns the picture only to go green again a minute later. I thought it was the Aquous but Sharp says no, many people have reported the same thing when Verizon's boxes are connected to Aquos and certain other TV's via HDMI cable but not when connected to Comcast, DISH, Direct TV or Time Warner boxes. Verizon have known of the problem for a long time but never said anything about it. If they had told me that Aquos and Samsung and other TV's would do this I would have bought a Sony or something that works. Sharp's techie said I should change from an HDMI connection to component cables. This is like going backwards and I don't see why I should have to do that. It's up to Verizon - surely the most arrogant and inconsiderate company in the country - to correct the problem, even if they have to change their boxes to a different manufacturer. They were supposed to come up with a software fix months ago but it has never appeared and they still don't publicize the problem. If I were you old chum I'd get DISH it's by far and away the best TV service you can buy in America. Avoid dealng with Verizon they're hopeless.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I love my fios. If you are paying $177 for your bundle then I am sure you have many add on items. Yes $94.95 is for the bundle, but if you add packages, and boxes, it is extra on any service. Well add it up DTV or Dish with extras can run $110 or more a month. Phone $45-$50, Internet $50. So FIOS is a deal. I was at well over $200 for my services before FIOS and that was with much slower internet access. I have been at $165 a month, BUT that is with ALL possible movie channels, 1 DVR, 2 standard STB, 1 digital adapter. Unlimited long distance with all the features. 20/5 internet with no caps. Lets see you get that with Dish.

LOOK at your bill. Make SURE you are not paying double for anything that is part of the package. I have seen errors and have also seen Verizon fix them and give credits.

Yes there are trade offs. I too wish the guide was better and DVRs held more. But look for improvements, they have not been around in the TV market as long as others, so yes there are growing pains.

HDMI I have on a Samsung and it has worked flawlessly since day #1. There are many implementations of the HDMI standard and not all of them are flawless, so you can't always point the finger at Verizon. If you feel so badly about Verizon then perhap you should not deal with them. There have been some companies that I gladly paid the termination fee. As of yet Verizon is not one of them.

My 2 cents worth.

Message Edited by prisaz on 05-03-2009 12:51 PM
0 Likes
mrxak

Verizon getting into Monroe County would be the best possible thing they could do. I can't really imagine anybody choosing Time Warner cable if given an actual choice. The cable monopoly is ridiculous, and they've abused theirs like all monopolists do. I can honestly say I was ready to switch services on *Day One* of being their customer, there was just so much hassle, and I am frequently plagued with internet/TV outages that make me want to switch all the more. The cap thing I haven't really read enough about to really have an opinion yet, but I know plenty of other people are angry at them for it.

The point is, Verizon wouldn't even have to market FiOS if they brought it here, people are READY to switch services, they just don't have a viable option currently. I personally would sign up for the top tier of FiOS internet plus TV and phone (I'd drop Frontier in a second too) just to spite the cable company. I know people elsewhere in the country that enjoy FiOS service, and I actually used to work as a contractor for Verizon Labs, so I know firsthand how amazing FiOS really is and have been promoting it to people people for years. Monroe County is ripe for the taking, and you'd probably put TWC right out of business without having to run a single ad. Heck, there's all these RIT graduates with high-paying tech jobs around here. If that's not an ideal market for people who want low-latency high-bandwidth internet, I don't know what is.

If somebody who knows the video franchise legal workings of the county better wants to post phone numbers of addresses for lobbying the local government on Verizon's behalf, I'd be more than happy to make phone calls and write letters, and make my friends do it too.

0 Likes