Please help a gamer out
fdx518

Fios Gigabit plan. Latency and packet loss issues in games using WiFi, I want to switch to wired. 

ONT was feeding internet to the Quantum Gateway via Ethernet cable.

I can’t run an Ethernet cable to the room. I have replaced the Quantum Gateway with my own (r7450 netgear) router hoping that would help, no luck. I do still have the quantum gateway on hand. 

I DO have a coax cable running from the ONT to the room. Is there a way I can utilize the hardware I have to allow me to get the computer hardwired? If not, what would I be looking at buying?

I don’t use Verizon’s TV or anything from Verizon besides internet, don’t know if that’s necessary information. 

thank you for your help, networking is not my best subject... I spent 4 hours googling and watching YouTube videos  and didn’t find the information related to my situation. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Please help a gamer out
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have Coax near where the Quantum gateway is located ?

Put the Quantum gateway back as the primary router (assume it's connected to the ONT via ethernet cable).   Now, connect coax (insure there is a path from the router to where your gaming system is located -- the can, but does not have to also connect to the ONT).    Purchase an ActionTec ECB6200 MoCA repeater.   Connect the repeater to the coax at the gaming system (use a splitter if necessary) and the other side of it to the gaming system. 

Done!

The Quantum gateway will automatically bridge the "wired" network onto the Coax feed with no configuration on your part -- view the coax as a long multi-outlet extension cord for your wired ethernet.

Note:  The connection must include the Gateway as this is where the bridge point to the private side of the network exists.   

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have coax in the room you can use a MoCA adapter. Verizon has the FiOS Network Extender which has two ethernet ports and also a wireless access point. They also sell the FiOS Network Adapter which has 4 ethernet port but no wifi. One of them can be use to connect the device with ethernet. The Quantum Gateway will also need to connect to the coaxial network in you house. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have Coax near where the Quantum gateway is located ?

Put the Quantum gateway back as the primary router (assume it's connected to the ONT via ethernet cable).   Now, connect coax (insure there is a path from the router to where your gaming system is located -- the can, but does not have to also connect to the ONT).    Purchase an ActionTec ECB6200 MoCA repeater.   Connect the repeater to the coax at the gaming system (use a splitter if necessary) and the other side of it to the gaming system. 

Done!

The Quantum gateway will automatically bridge the "wired" network onto the Coax feed with no configuration on your part -- view the coax as a long multi-outlet extension cord for your wired ethernet.

Note:  The connection must include the Gateway as this is where the bridge point to the private side of the network exists.