I previously had DSL service and had great internet service. Well i decided to upgrade to FIOS and it has been a nightmare ever since. My wired connection does not My current operating system is Windows Vista . I have contacted Verizon and they did a reset but this did not work. I have contacted Microsoft and tried several things with no success. My wireless connection works but the laptop is not mine so I do not have 24 access to the wireless access. I really need to get my wired connection working again. I am at my wits end about what to do. When the technician installed , I saw him get on the internet and from the day he left I have not been able to get on. I see this similar problem posted on the community board but NO SOLUTIOn! I have tried a few suggestions and still I have no wired internet connection, It has been only a month and I am thinking of terminating FIOS . In addition the internet connection does not seem that fast as it is advertised. Please help. Verizon tech support is difficult because no one answers the phone and they are not helping the problem. Any ideas or suggestions please let me know.
Wire is always better than wireless when reliability counts. If you can get a copy of the VZ In Home Agent by downloading it on another computer and then copying it to yours, you may find it helpful.
Or direct link.
Some other tips
1. When you plug the Ethernet cable into the computer, do you still see two monitors with an x in the system tray next to the clock? (Network Connection)
2. If you do, that indicates a bad cable to the router or some type of connection trouble. Look at the Link light on the router where your computer is connected and make sure it is on. Also make sure you are plugged into LAN and not WAN.
3. If the network connection shows up in the system tray with an x, right click on it and try to use the diagnose and repair feature that is included with Vista. Or use the connect to a network option.
4. If you do not have the network icon in your system tray, it may not be set to show when connected. You can go to the Network Connection and Sharing Center from Start\Settings\Control Panel\ and configure your connection there.
5. If you have any old DSL connection software installed, you may want to remove it. It may be that your computer was set to make a direct PPPOE connection through the DSL modem. Your computer may still think it is connecting through DSL. It now connects through the Verizon router.
I hope this helps.
First, reset the router yourself ... red button on the back (you can press it in using a paperclip or pen -- hold for 10 seconds and release and let the router recycle).
Next, hook the PC up to the router and make sure you get a connection light ... no light, bad ethernet port or card. Make sure you plug into on of the four numbered LAN ports, NOT the WAN port!
If you've got a connection light, go into the network connections settings and turn OFF the radio on your wireless adapter. Just to keep things from getitng confused. Then you should be able to identify which network adapter is the hard wired connection -- right click on this and see if there is a "repair" option -- this will reset the various parameters about the interface in case anything was set manually. See if it works then.
Post back and let us know where things stand.
My connection was reset from verizon and the nternet worked for one hour and still have not been able to reconnect to the wired connection. This is all so complicated. I thought this would be easy to solve but internet connection is still not working through the wired connection. I appreciatee your hlep . I tried and was unsuccessful
I agree with Hubrisnxs. It sounds like a bad router. If you reset it and it works for a while, verizon should just send you a replacement. Remember it they do send you a replacement, take the old one and send it back with a return material autoization from them. The should give you an UPS shipping label. keep a copy of the shipping label that includes the tracking number. When you take it to UPS or UPS store, get a receipt. If the do not get the router returned, they will charge your account $99. So it is good to have proof of shipping, tracking, and delivery.