Please roll out 750/750 mbits tier in MD
NickZQ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon, please rollout your new FiOS 750/750mbits in MD as soon as you can.  I look forward to getting it! thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Please roll out 750/750 mbits tier in MD
jonjones1
Legend

@NickZQ wrote:

Verizon, please rollout your new FiOS 750/750mbits in MD as soon as you can.  I look forward to getting it! thanks.

Yeah you have to admit it is priced right also. It's not going to be available where I am yet either. But it gives me something to look forward to.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why?

Unless you have a very large number of devices, you won't come anywhere near using this bandwidth.

And no guarantee that remote sites could feed you data at such a rate.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is awesome news!!! And the price seems very reasonable!

Hope it comes to Pittsburgh soon. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This should be rolling out territory wide. Verizon has to ensure each GWR in the CO has 10GBE connectivity between the OLT and the GWR. Additionally backbone capacity has to be available.

In some offices Verizon is still using old Juniper E6000 GWRs. These have to be upgraded to Juniper MX960 to support the higher speeds across a service area. Verizon has been working on these upgrades for the past year or so.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know why people are so hot for higher speeds.

If you have 10 active devices, you could get 75mbs for each.

Even 100 devices would give you 7.5.

More than enough for streaming.

And WiFi maxes out around 300. Not sure what effective rate you can get with multiple users.

How unhappy will people be when they use a speedtest site and don't get the 750 they are paying for?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth, I agree, anything over 100 Mbps for your average user is more than enough.

Personally for my work I'm always uploading and downloading huge files, my entire house is wired with cat6 ethernet, and all my equipment is outfitted with gigabit NICs. Also, the faster speed is good for everyone, in the fact that it drives better competition in areas where monopolies have stagnated, and it lowers the prices for customers (I've seen reports in areas that the new 750 Mbps service is being rolled out, prices for other internet tiers are going down).

If we need anything in the Internet world for the US market, its more competition in the internet realm. Faster speeds, albeit somewhat unecessary for the grandma checking her emails once a day, forces competing ISPs to incrase their speeds, or lower their prices. Its a win-win for customers. 

0 Likes