Plugging directly into wall jack, no router?
yairmarx
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am moving into a new place that will be wired with cat6 throughout the house. Will be transferring my fios service there. I had a hypothetical scenario...

Right now, my google wifi router is plugged into the wall jack and provides my place with wifi and I can also plug one device directly into the google wifi for a hardwired connection.

Let's say I didnt care about wifi, would i be able to plug my devices directly into the wall jacks throughout the house and get internet connectivity? no routers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Plugging directly into wall jack, no router?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The jacks won’t just work. They probably originate in the basement or utility area. Maybe even in a white low voltage panel. The LAN port of your router will connect to the an ethernet switch. Then all the ethernet wire will connect to the switch. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. For multiple devices you need to have a router. Not to mention it’s not very safe since you’re loosing the router’s firewall. All the ethernet jack have to go back to a termination point.

For example you will have...

ONT > Router > Switch > Ethernet wiring going to all the jacks in the house. 

yairmarx
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, so at the very least I need one router?  But then for the rest of the jacks in the house I can just plug my devices right into the jack? For example if I have a jack behind the wall mounted tv, I can just plug the tv right into that.  With the only caveat being that I need at least one router in the house plugged into the jack where the ONT comes in?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The jacks won’t just work. They probably originate in the basement or utility area. Maybe even in a white low voltage panel. The LAN port of your router will connect to the an ethernet switch. Then all the ethernet wire will connect to the switch.