Re: Poor Netflix Streaming- what to troubleshoot next?
SteveLogan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly.  The Redbox service stinks.  We pay Verizon for internet access and now because they've bought some lobbyists they get to start blocking Netflix.

What stinks is that Netflix WILL install caching servers at any ISP for free, which would solve what Verizon will publicly say (Netflix uses so much interent bandwidth).  With the cacheing servers installed VZ would just have a 5TB nightly download of content and then everything could be peered out from there.

Thanks to our public officials who have lined their pockets over the years leaving us just VZ and Xfinity / Comcrap as a choice.

0 Likes
rangeroak

Verizon is throttling data from certain sites, netflix for example. Switch service providers...

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's an interesting video on Yahoo Finance about the current FiOS / Netflix **bleep** contest: Why it may cost you more to enjoy netflix

0 Likes
SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the surface switching providers seems like a good idea but there's no guarantee your "new" provider will be any different.  The other issue is that most of us are locked into term contracts with early termination penalties.  What Verizon is doing is very sneaky; they're not capping our bandwidth.  If you do a speed test you'll see everyting looks fine.  They're shaping Netflix's streaming bandwidth being delivered to us. 

The result is that instead of a 1080P "SuperHD" stream, I'm getting resolutions as low as 288P.  Display that on a 65" HDTV and it looks like a VHS copy of a copy.

As usual, the customer is stuck in the middle.  Worse yet, they don't have the stones to fess up that they're screwing with the streams. 

everyone2011
I am having the same problem with netflix. It just started happening about 2 months ago my streaming stops and goes but never did before on my tv. I also got the router and modem in one from Verizon with no change. This is getting really frustrating for me to switch to a different provider which I will soon if this doesn't get better. I really do think verizon is doing something with the streaming.
0 Likes
dbrown125

Don't waste your time. Verizon FIOS is deliberately throttling your Netflix in an effort to extort more money from them.

0 Likes
Try this
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Look at Message #7 (currently the last one) on this thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Netflix-streaming/td-p/684575

0 Likes