Poor bandwicth
charltond
Enthusiast - Level 2

WIn 7 Ultimate, 8 GB, i7 cpu. FIOS 25/15. Freshly rebooted router. I get routinely no more than 0.384 MBS DOWNLOAD using Speedtest from Consolidated Communications in the Pittsburgh peering center. Oddly, I get about 14 MBS UPLOAD. I get normal bandwidth (30/15) from Pair Networks. I also get 30/20 from the FIOS server. If I point Speedtest to State College, I actually get better results. If I use Weston WV it is 2.3 DL and 28.2 UP, another odd result.  Columbus OH, 30/20.

There is clearly something wrong in the routing instructions at the local peering center. I cannot get Verizon to admit there is a problem.

Under the current routing I cannot watch video from Amazon. Indeed, if I ping AMazon on just a regular ping.exe function, the ping request times out.

There is something badly wrong and I don't know what to do. I have saved speedtest results from multiple sesions if anyone cares to look at the data.

Could anyone tell me how to escalate this without taking all week to work my way up . Also, the VZ Home Agent had not suggestions. I think I am optmimally configured here.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor bandwicth
charltond
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found that things improved markedly when I flushed the DNS cache. [ ipconfig / flushdns]. There may also be a ONT issue but in may case, I think not. Great suggestion, though. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MikeBar

I've had similar problems in the past to the point where I was rebooting my ONT every couple of weeks. Rebooting the ONT seemed to work, but didn't always work. Finally I called a tech out and they replaced the ONT which did the trick. I'm not sure how you can convince them to try replacing the ONT, or if that is even the problem, but I suggest calling a tech out to diagnose the issue in person. Chances are they'll have backup hardware in their truck so they can replace equipment if necessary. Just don't let them leave until the speed is fixed. 🙂

0 Likes
charltond
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found that things improved markedly when I flushed the DNS cache. [ ipconfig / flushdns]. There may also be a ONT issue but in may case, I think not. Great suggestion, though. 

0 Likes
charltond
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have exactly the same result. As noted above I  flushed the DNS cache and had some postiiver results but now it has no effect. Any other suggestions from the moderator. I have data from many runs confirming that it is the Consolidated Communications pairing center that is limiting the bandwith. I have great connection results from many other peering centers. Therefore, I do not understand how it could be rellated to any pc local configuration. Any guidance welcome. 

0 Likes