Poor nameserver performance
CStenfors
Contributor - Level 1

For months now I've had issues with my computer when I start using it after rebooting, wake-up  or simply a period of long inactivity.  Web pages would not load and would return error messages indicating that  the page could not be found. It got so bad that I got used ot playing one or two games of Solitaire every time I came to sit down at my computer before I could begin doing any useful work that involved Internet access.

After serching around, I finally decided to try and change my DNS (Domain name server) in my TCP/IP configuration. I was not really hopeful that this would resolve anything, but since all error messages pointed to a DNS problem, I figured it couldn't hurt to experiment.

So I used the Google Public DNS servers at 8.8.8.. and 8.8.8.4 instead of the dynamically assigned DNS serveers from Verizon.

What an amazing difference! I can access the Internet instantly, and all pages seem to load fster. 

Just so if you are struggling with Internet access, try changing your DNS to a differnt DNS provider. Both Google and the OpenDNS organization provides reliable instructions on their respective websites. In addition, you won't get the crummy Verizon redirection page if you type a wrong URL.  There are also other security measures in place  at these big SND providers - I don't know if Verizon provides the same, but I will tell you that once again, I am bitterly disappointed in a facet of Verizon's service.

A word of caution. Make sure that the DNS provider you choose will use a nearby location (using webcast services). If you, for instance, choose an European DNS provider, you may find that streaming services such as Netflix will resolve to a CDN (Content Delivery Node (Akamai or similar) overseas, impacting the performance of streaming services and large data transfers such as downloads, etc.