Poor wireless performance
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

I just can't stand these wireless speeds on FiOS. I am also sick and tired of hearing the same "We can't guarantee wireless speeds" statement every single freaking time I call VZ customer support. I want to know if anyone has been recieving poor wireless speeds on the new FiOS Rev. I router (Red VZ router with two antennas). Honestly, due to the fact that it is free, it sucks a lot. The wireless signal is pretty bad as well.

0 Likes
Re: Poor wireless performance
Justin46
Legend

@Vigz wrote:

I just can't stand these wireless speeds on FiOS. I am also sick and tired of hearing the same "We can't guarantee wireless speeds" statement every single freaking time I call VZ customer support. I want to know if anyone has been recieving poor wireless speeds on the new FiOS Rev. I router (Red VZ router with two antennas). Honestly, due to the fact that it is free, it sucks a lot. The wireless signal is pretty bad as well.

I have a Rev. I Actiontec and I get what I feel is very good wireless speed. What speeds are you getting that you consider poor? And how are you measuring it? Perhaps you can post some of your speedtest results, maybe the Verizon speedtest and speedtest.not? Are all of your devices N-speed capable? If so, have you switched the router to WPA2, AES, and N-Performance mode?

If you can provide some details perhaps someone here can help you. Of course it also depends on what your expectations are; the Rev. I is NOT a dual-band router.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

I am subscribed to 50/25. Speedtest.net results show 15 Mbps download and suprisingly 30 mbps upload. Wired connection is perfect. However, we are only connected via wireless. None are A/B/G devices. It is set to Performance Mode. WPA2 AES is also enabled. The problem is that I can't recieve any help from VZ since they claim that wireless performance isn't guaranteed. Even with these speeds, streaming is slow no matter what site I go into (I heard Youtube is the worst for FiOS). Digital downloads on the Xbox take forever to download as well as streaming on Netflix and the Xbox's proprietary streaming service. This is not the speed I should be recieving for paying $100+ a month.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Vigz wrote:

I am subscribed to 50/25. Speedtest.net results show 15 Mbps download and suprisingly 30 mbps upload. Wired connection is perfect. However, we are only connected via wireless. None are A/B/G devices. It is set to Performance Mode. WPA2 AES is also enabled. The problem is that I can't recieve any help from VZ since they claim that wireless performance isn't guaranteed. Even with these speeds, streaming is slow no matter what site I go into (I heard Youtube is the worst for FiOS). Digital downloads on the Xbox take forever to download as well as streaming on Netflix and the Xbox's proprietary streaming service. This is not the speed I should be recieving for paying $100+ a month.

OK, that info helps some, proves your FiOS connection is giving you the speeds you should get, and it sounds like you have taken most of the recommended steps for good wireless performance, at least the ones I am aware of. One thing you didn't mention is the wireless channel you are using. Especially if you are in a high-density area like a condo or apartment building, it could be that there are lots of uses on the same channel your router is using, causing interference that will slow things down. If you have not done so I suggest you download the free program inSSIDer and see what if any channels have the least activity and set your router to use that channel. You should always choose one of these channels: 1, 6, or 11.

Another thing: how far away from the router are the wireless devices, and how many walls is the signal having to go through? The number of walls or floors, mirrors, etc., between the router and the device can all affect wireless performance.

If you wind up unable to get the wireless performance you need, I would guess there is a coax connection in the room where the Xbox is located, you could always buy a MOCA Adapter to connect the Xbox to the coax via an ethernet cable in that room. More money but should fix the performance issue for that device.

No ISP, Verizon or any other, ever guarantees speed, especially wireless speed, because there are so many factors that can affect performance. IMO Verizon should, however, be able to at least give you some suggestions on how to get the best wireless performance.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Vigz
Contributor - Level 1

This is ridiculous. Performance is unaffected after changing channels. I am very much losing trust in FiOS. The speeds reported on these speed test sites look fine. If I use the internet, however, everything is ridiculously slow. I think FiOS is throttling my speed.

0 Likes
Re: Poor wireless performance - Suggested Recipes For Improvements
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Vigz wrote:

This is ridiculous... I think FiOS is throttling my speed.

I don't, and in fact there is no evidence that this happens to FiOS subscribers.

In addition to the strong suggestions given by Justin, I'd recommend you take a long and careful look at the series of posts given in the link bellow.  The posts were written by another experienced network professional.  This series seems to cover just about all aspects of wireless home networking, and I've yet to see it unproved upon.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

You first need to understand how your network works.  Verizon has no control over your wifi.  The connection from your devices and your router are one thing, and the thing you're complaining about.  The connection from yout router to the internet is another thing, and is the only place they could be throttleing which they arne't as you've proven you're getting the speed your paying for.

Your wifi connection is your baby.

That said, I'm frustrated in the verizon router as far as wifi connections go.  I'm hanging a cheap AP off of the router and getting better performance than the routers wifi.  That's another issue though.

You can't get an issue fixed if you don't understand the issue and who has control of what.  Now you do.  Good luck with "your" wifi connection.  🙂