Port 44158 keeps closing
Asub515

So I am operating a helium hotpot. It requires port 44158 to be open both ways. Port forwarded, set a static IP, disables UpNP. It opens. But then it closes. It only opens back up when I power cycle. But then it eventually closes. I talked to tech support a bunch of times but they don't know what the problem is. The router is also brand new. I'm very frustrated. I'm considering cancelling my service. I like FiOS, but I didn't have this issue when I wasn't with them. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Port 44158 keeps closing
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You know you can use your own router if you are not subscribed to Fios TV?

I guess the issue might stem from the latest 3.1.0.x firmware update. I am going to replicate the forwarding rule on my G3100 to see whether the problem can be reproduced.

Asub515

That would be awesome. I will go to work in the morning and the port will be open, I'll come home and it will be closed. So I'll unplug it and plug it back in. The port is opened up. Go to work and come home, and it's closed. That's every day 😂😂

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Asub515 wrote:

That would be awesome. I will go to work in the morning and the port will be open, I'll come home and it will be closed. So I'll unplug it and plug it back in. The port is opened up. Go to work and come home, and it's closed. That's every day 😂😂

Besides the reply so far, I will give to you my two cents.

The LAN/Internal/NATTED/Non Pubic IP Address, should be set to Static.

Depending on the NAT router, that could either be a manual Static IP or telling the NAT router to give the same IP Address each time to the certain computer.

As to what I mean by telling the NAT router to give the same IP Address each time to the certain computer,  points to portforward.com -> Help center -> Configuring a Static IP Address -> Setup a Static IP address on the PS4. Direct Link REF https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/

That site also tells how to setup a manual Static from Window 98 to Windows 10, one Mac/Apple OS and then certain game consoles (besides just the PS4).

Asub515

So I'm kind of learning all of this as I go. What it sounds like you're telling me I should set up a static IP to the actual hotspot device right? Someone told me to do that as well so I did I'm fact do it. I set the static IP address right after I port forwarded.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are to setup a Static IP and then you are to forward to the Static IP that you setup.

If still not working right after you are sure that you did this/that, also be sure to turn off UPnP in the NAT router if it is on.

If still not working right after you turned off UPnP, please post and we will go from there.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am setting up a G3100 with both LAN and WAN side connected to two NICs of a computer, and I am encountering issues. It seems that the G3100 refuses to perform NAT when not being connected to a public routable network on WAN.

I am sorry that the OP might need to wait until the new year to hear back from my test. Meanwhile, could you check G3100's Firewall logs? Do you see any blocked connection attempts when the port forwarding dysfunctions?

Asub515

So I did set up the static IP. I'm not sure if I port forwarded it though. How would I go about doing that? Also, I DID disable to UpNP. My device kept listening to the wrong port, so when I disabled it, it fix that issue

0 Likes
Asub515

No worries! I appreciate you running this test. I will check the logs today

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Asub515 wrote:

I'm not sure if I port forwarded it though. How would I go about doing that?

It would help to know the brand and model of NAT router.