Port 6794 Flood
prisaz
Legend

Why does Verizon's private IP address default gateway for PPPoE continuously hit my router from this UDP port at multiple destinations on the public IP assigned to my router? This is an old question where I was told not to worry about it a few years back. But this happening every second can not be good. Any ideas why they need access to my router from this port? Any ideas post here or send me a PM. Thanks

Just one of thousand if not millions of firewall entries on my router. Since the Verizon router logs are are so limited it is not an issue on that router, but I store traffic for 90 days.

TimeChainIfaceProtoSourceSrc PortMAC AddressDestinationDst Port

13:00:23INPUTppp0UDP
6794:::::
108.18.x.x

Re: Port 6794 Flood
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

They are checking for Open Proxies that use port number 47196.

What makes me think that, you might ask.

a) It is not the source port that you need to worry about, it is the Destination port.

b) I looked up on Google: port number 47196 and looked at the results back.

prisaz
Legend

@dslr595148 wrote:

They are checking for Open Proxies that use port number 47196.

What makes me think that, you might ask.

a) It is not the source port that you need to worry about, it is the Destination port.

b) I looked up on Google: port number 47196 and looked at the results back.

Thanks "Any ideas why they need access to my router from this port?"
 I know it is the destination port to worry about. But the originating port is always hitting multiple ports on my router that get blocked by my router. Why would Verizon do that constantly? It seems rather annoying and unnecessary. What negative effect does it have on my services by blocking those requests, and why are they doing it? Seems like some type of management that may make it through the standard router. I could give a long list of destination ports that are being hit. I could understand if I was told we need it for X or we need it for Y. But then again it is proprietary. All we are told is non verizon routers are not supported. In my book, once it comes through their router, it is MY network, not theirs. So the solution is my router to keep them off my network, or multiple routers. We all know how much people like the Verizon routers.

Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
Hello,

Unfortunately Verizon is not obligated to provide any information that regards to the management of its services.

Shamika_Vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

More than likely it is CallerID information hitting your router at routine intervals to reach the STBs, if you have any. Only thing that's doing by being blocked is wasting CPU cyles on the router that could be better suited doing other things. If I had FiOS and saw the same traffic coming in, I'd see what I can do to capture it. If you do capture it and can analyse the data that is coming in, it might help out knowing what exactly it's meant to do, especially if it initializes a transfer from inside of your network.

0 Likes