Port Forwarding - I think
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
I have an application which requires that I keep each of my internet networked PC on the same IP address each time that they are on the network. (i.e. PC 1 on 192.168.1.50, PC 2 192.168.1.55). I believe that on my Verizon router Actiontec MI424WR that I should use the port forwarding function but do not really understand how to configure it. When I go into port forwarding I can pick each of my devices but the "game" is not listed so I am guessing that I need custom ports but then I do not know what to do for the required information. The application that require the IP address will read and write between my Android phone and my PCs so that information will be sync'd. Please advise on setting.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port Forwarding - I think
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Assigning a "Static IP" address to a PC/device is *not* a function of the router box.  The router box only gets involved in assigning "dynamic IP" addresses through a procedure called "DHCP".

Each PC/device has its own TCP/IP configuration utility, Windows, Linux, etc and they are all different.  However, in those utilities you have a choice of "Dynamic IP" (DHCP) or "Static IP" for the setup.  You will need to consult the documentation or help files for your specific computer.

Just a note, when you choose Static IP, there are some other parameters that you will be responsible for, like "Subnet Masks" and "Gateway" and "DNS" addresses.  I suggest you write down the current settings on your PC/Device first.

Once you have that all set up and working, you can look into the port forwarding.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you are referring to is a static IP.

Just configure the IP of each PC directly vs using dhcp.

0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
Thanks, but I have search my router settings and cannot see how I make the change in dhcp so I would appreciate more help. If you tell me where in the setting I go I would appreciate it
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have to set it in each computer.

Just pick a series of IPS and assign one to each computer.

If the computers are windows, it is under networking.

0 Likes
NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
I see how to do that for my Windows PCs but how do I do it for my Android phone? In my previous router (Comcast) I could set the static IP in the router. PS: When I changed the IP address on my Win 10 PC, the router shows the correct IP but it "loses" the name of the PC, is there any way to name it?
0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Assigning a "Static IP" address to a PC/device is *not* a function of the router box.  The router box only gets involved in assigning "dynamic IP" addresses through a procedure called "DHCP".

Each PC/device has its own TCP/IP configuration utility, Windows, Linux, etc and they are all different.  However, in those utilities you have a choice of "Dynamic IP" (DHCP) or "Static IP" for the setup.  You will need to consult the documentation or help files for your specific computer.

Just a note, when you choose Static IP, there are some other parameters that you will be responsible for, like "Subnet Masks" and "Gateway" and "DNS" addresses.  I suggest you write down the current settings on your PC/Device first.

Once you have that all set up and working, you can look into the port forwarding.

0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I see my and your replies overlapped by a few minutes.  I see that you know how to do it for Windows.

Given that Android devices are generally meant to be "mobile", and therefore use any available WiFi (free or otherwise), I would be surprised that Android games would require a fixed IP address.  Starbucks is unlikely to cooperate in allowing you to set up port forwarding.

I thought that Android games took advantage of "UPnP", a method for applications to dynamically request a port forward from the "router/gateway" to the dynamic IP address they've been assigned.  It also allows for the game to request the "external IP" address (the non-192.168.etc address) of the router that makes it possible for the incoming request to get to the router and eventually forwarded.  UPnP is the solution to requiring fixed IP addresses on WiFi / mobile networks.

0 Likes
CDOsr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't have an Android Phone but I do have a Samsung Android Tablet.

1) Go to "Settings", select WiFi

2) Select the current (home) WiFI, Press and Hold.

3) Get a Menu with "Modify Network Config" entry, select that

4) Get a Menu with the option to enter the WiFi password (with Save and Cancel buttons)

5) Scroll down a little and see the "Show Advanced Options" checkbox (under the "Show Password" checkbox)

6) Lots of options including "IP Settings" pulldown with DHCP and Static options.

At this point, you're on your own as I did not fiddle with these setting further.

Good Luck

NEIL13764
Contributor - Level 2
Thanks for the instruction but for some reason after I set the static IP I could not connect. I realized that I really don't need a static IP for the app on the phone anyway so I am fine.
0 Likes