Port Forwarding does not appear to work for all ports on MI424WR router
scottgreenpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

Router: MI424WR-GEN2 Hardware Version F

Firmware: 20.19.8

I have a virtual ubuntu server running on my Windows 7 machine.  I have successfully set up port forwarding to SSH into this virtual machine.  I've also shown that I can port forward on port 80 as well (although I don't want to do that).

My issue is when I try to run port forwarding through any non-standard port.  For example, I have an application listening on port 8001 and I set up a port forwarding rule the same way I set up my SSH port forward rule.  When I try to hit that port through a browser or a port scanner (nmap) it seems to be closed. 

I have tested my ip/port through this online tool and it states that it is open. 

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Does Verizon FIOS have a port forwarding policy?  I know the TOS and you are not to run a web server but I just want to experiment and see if my app running on my virtual box can receive a request.  Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port Forwarding does not appear to work for all ports on MI424WR router
scottgreenpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured it out.  I'm trying to access the port from my work network and the firewalls are blocking the outbound traffic on that port.  I just tried an accessing the ip:port from my mobile phone and I was able to get a reply.  So the lesson learned is try and access the ip/port from another network because there may be a firewall blocking your access.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Port 25 is filtered for dynamic customers. All ports are open for customers that have static IP addresses 

No other port other than 25 is filtered.   

If you post a screen shot of your PF rules then we can take a look for anything that stands out.

@scottgreenpants wrote:

Router: MI424WR-GEN2 Hardware Version F

Firmware: 20.19.8

I have a virtual ubuntu server running on my Windows 7 machine.  I have successfully set up port forwarding to SSH into this virtual machine.  I've also shown that I can port forward on port 80 as well (although I don't want to do that).

My issue is when I try to run port forwarding through any non-standard port.  For example, I have an application listening on port 8001 and I set up a port forwarding rule the same way I set up my SSH port forward rule.  When I try to hit that port through a browser or a port scanner (nmap) it seems to be closed. 

I have tested my ip/port through this online tool and it states that it is open. 

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Does Verizon FIOS have a port forwarding policy?  I know the TOS and you are not to run a web server but I just want to experiment and see if my app running on my virtual box can receive a request.  Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

0 Likes
scottgreenpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a static ip address that I can SSH into.  I've read all of the port forwarding tutorials and I don't think I'm doing anything out of the ordinary.  I'm out of ideas right now.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I'll check back in a while, the screenshot you shared isn't uploaded or at least isn't displaying yet, and sometimes it can take a little while for it to display.

if the PF rules are correct in the VZ router, then I have a few considerations that you may want to look at.

A 2ndary router involved

Third party firewall blocking the port on the machine

or windows firewall blocking the port.

Also, while we are waiting for it to display, you can probably take a quick gander, but it should have the source port set to ANY

so your rule might or should look similiar to this

192.168.x.x TCP ANY -) 8001

I'll chcek back in a bit, and we have some other really talented usersw here too, so they might see it before me, and can help out too. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Ok, those settings look good to me, my only question is that you mentioned that you had a static IP.  is that a legit WAN static IP or is that a local 192.168.x.x address that you have made into a static?

0 Likes
scottgreenpants
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured it out.  I'm trying to access the port from my work network and the firewalls are blocking the outbound traffic on that port.  I just tried an accessing the ip:port from my mobile phone and I was able to get a reply.  So the lesson learned is try and access the ip/port from another network because there may be a firewall blocking your access.