Port forwarding is blocked?
danishherring14
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been trying to set up port forwarding on my router for years unsuccessfuly and have finally decided to try to fix it. I can set up port forwarding rules just fine in my router firewall settings page, however the ports never open (I have checked many times with canyouseeme.org). To my knowledge, my router is perfectly fine and should be able to do this, so I have started to suspect that this problem may be on Verizon's end. I have attached an image of some of the rules I have tried to make: two were for game servers and the other two are for experimenting with sending WOL packets over the internet. I have also already tried to contact Verizon support about this and they told me that I would have to pay them $40 to fix this for me, which seems ridiculous as I should be able to port forward already. Please let me know if there is anything I may have overlooked or if there is a known solution for this.

Thank You!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port forwarding is blocked?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@danishherring14 wrote:

I have been trying to set up port forwarding on my router for years unsuccessfuly and have finally decided to try to fix it. I can set up port forwarding rules just fine in my router firewall settings page, however the ports never open (I have checked many times with canyouseeme.org). To my knowledge, my router is perfectly fine and should be able to do this, so I have started to suspect that this problem may be on Verizon's end. I have attached an image of some of the rules I have tried to make: two were for game servers and the other two are for experimenting with sending WOL packets over the internet. I have also already tried to contact Verizon support about this and they told me that I would have to pay them $40 to fix this for me, which seems ridiculous as I should be able to port forward already. Please let me know if there is anything I may have overlooked or if there is a known solution for this.

Thank You!

You've set up the Port Forwarding rules incorrectly

They should say TCP Any -> 7777 and udp Any -> 7777 etc.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@danishherring14 wrote:

Thank You!

You've set up the Port Forwarding rules incorrectly

They should say TCP Any -> 7777 and udp Any -> 7777 etc.

danishherring14
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! I can't believe it was that simple of a problem. What would the purpose be of setting a source port so that the rule would appear like 7777 -> 7777?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@danishherring14 wrote:

Thank you! I can't believe it was that simple of a problem. What would the purpose be of setting a source port so that the rule would appear like 7777 -> 7777?

I have to admit I don't know the answer.  The only thing that makes sense would be if you were trying to restrict access to specific source machines and had them always use restricted to use a specific access port when trying to get to your server/listener.
Maybe one of the gurus on here can explain it.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would do this is you had a specific application that always talked from the same source to destination port.

A lot of times, an application has a required destination port, but the source doesn't matter.
So the any to specific is what you would want.

danishherring14
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for reminding me; I did both.

Also, I am still having problems with forwarding WOL packets from my router even though I revised the rule to be UDP any -> 9. canyouseeme.org still saays port 9 is closed with this new rule, but it also said that about port 25565 until I actively had started a Minecraft server on my computer. I can send and receive magic packets successfuly over LAN, but when I try to send them over the internet, they don't seem to be forwarded correctly through my router. Would anybody happen to know anything about this in particular? Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@danishherring14 wrote:

Also, I am still having problems with forwarding WOL packets from my router even though I revised the rule to be UDP any -> 9. canyouseeme.org still saays port 9 is closed with this new rule, but it also said that about port 25565 until I actively had started a Minecraft server on my computer. I can send and receive magic packets successfuly over LAN, but when I try to send them over the internet, they don't seem to be forwarded correctly through my router. Would anybody happen to know anything about this in particular? Thanks.

I point you to https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16041

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@danishherring14 wrote:

canyouseeme will always report close unless there is a listener application on the port.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes