Re: Port forwarding on Westell 9100 does not work.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmm...

Change the range so that it is:

Starting IP: 192.168.1.100
Ending IP: 192.168.1.254

That should fix an issue. I point to

URL: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1116577357

Title/Location: portforward.com -> forum -› Knowledge Base -› How to choose a Static IP address

^^^
0 Likes
FrankenHamster
It is changed, but it still does not work.
0 Likes
RT2002
Enthusiast - Level 2

so I'm assuming that the inside computer is on a wire and that you set that computer to

192.168.1.22  with 255.255.255.0  and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 you ALSO OPENED PORT X on the firewall of this computer?

and that you went to the router 9100 and you told it to forward port  X  FROM  ANY  to  192.168.1.22 port X and that you saved it or "applied" it , then rebooted router and the settings are not there?

0 Likes
FrankenHamster
You assume correct on everything except the last statement. I don't understand what you are trying to say.
0 Likes
FrankenHamster
New information: Any program that forwards its own pots, such as skype or msn and utorrent work. When I change the port uTorrent uses, that port becomes avaliable, but any rule I set myself does not work.
0 Likes
mirage
Enthusiast - Level 2

Check and see if windows firewall is blocking connections.

I thought port forwarding was broken for me until I saw that it was on, and once I turned it off the fowarding worked. 

0 Likes
FrankenHamster
I stopped both windows firewall and Avast onaccess protection, but it is still closed
0 Likes
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried a bunch of different things suggested on these forums but finally got some ports open:

From the main menu, go to "Firewall Settings" (click "Yes" to proceed)

Select "Port Forwarding" from the left-hand side

Click "+" to add a new port forwarding rule (or "New Entry")

Now, here's the tricky part:

Do NOT select either the "Specify Public IP Address" or "Specify Network IP Address" checkboxes.

Instead, type the local (LAN) IP address of the computer you wish to forward to in the box on the right-hand-side of Local host:

Do the other stuff (protocols, ports, etc.) and voila!  (at least this worked for me...).  Good luck.

Oh, and I've found that port 80 is not blocked in my service area.

Message Edited by NielsBohr on 08-19-2009 11:52 AM
0 Likes
FrankenHamster
That is what I have been doing.
0 Likes
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3

You might want to see if you can narrow it down between a port forwarding (router) issue, an issue with the server's firewall or an issue with the application itself.  On the computer that is listening on port 20715, you can test it by running at the command prompt (run->cmd):

telnet 127.0.0.1 20715

If it's working properly, you should see some sort of greeting string.  For instance, this is the response from port 25 on my machine running MS Outlook:

telnet 127.0.0.1 25

220 xxxx.somedomain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.2600.5512 read
y at  Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:53:38 -0700

If you get a response like this on port 20715, then at least you know the application is working.  Next step, you might want to try the same thing from a different machine on your LAN to make sure your server firewall is not getting in the way.  If you get past these two stages, then you're definitely stuck with a strange port forwarding problem.

Apologies if you're tried all this stuff already...

0 Likes