Port forwarding on port 4567
vercust1

A few weeks ago I noticed that port 4567 was being automatically opened by Verizon Fios for the local host. This started when I tried to disable the UPnP allow remote devices to control network settings. I never saw this rule being created before that. I can only remove this rule by pushing reset on my router, but the rule is created again a short while after doing this. The reason I'm concerned about this is I notice a hit on performance on my devices whenever this rule is created. Some of the machines that connect to the router have their own port forwarding requirements and I'm not sure if this rule may be causing some contention. Is there anyway to get Verizon to stop automatically setting up port forwarding on this port and return my router to its previous configuration?

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Port forwarding on port 4567
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17832991-New-ActionTec-Firmware-MI424WRrmt4016145160rmt~start=20

these guys apparently disabled it succesfully, you can give it a shot?

looks like older firmware to me, but it may still work.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

It allows Verizon to push out firmware updates automatically w/o user or tech involvement.

No performance issues should be associated with it.

0 Likes
vercust1

Is it possible to have this rule created on a need to use basis, rather than hardcode it into my router? This was the configuration before, I believe, and I would like it to remain so. I realize that no performance hit should be associated with this rule, but not everything works as it should ;). All I can say for certain is I do see lag when the rule is there and can only deal with it by resetting the router.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@vercust1 wrote:

Is it possible to have this rule created on a need to use basis, rather than hardcode it into my router? This was the configuration before, I believe, and I would like it to remain so. I realize that no performance hit should be associated with this rule, but not everything works as it should ;). All I can say for certain is I do see lag when the rule is there and can only deal with it by resetting the router.

I don't believe there is a way to use it on a need to use basis, VZ put's it in as a part of their software so they can send updates and such.   I have not seen anyone disable it before, but I would double check your router logs to see if the port is even being accessed when you are having issues.   It should give you information about who and when it's being accessed, but it won't tell you what they are doing

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17832991-New-ActionTec-Firmware-MI424WRrmt4016145160rmt~start=20

these guys apparently disabled it succesfully, you can give it a shot?

looks like older firmware to me, but it may still work.

vercust1

Awesome job! Thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

fyi - and I probably should have mentioned this earlier, the port is used for remote management, and I am pretty sure that if you disable it - vz tech's won't be able to view or manage the connection, so if you call into them, they won't have much in the way of specific info about your router, and won't be able to reset it or factory reset it if you get booted offline.   so just expect to do a lot of things manually if you call them.

other than that cheers!