Port forwarding problems
jsa3071
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am cross-posting this from the QNAP NAS forum, as I believe the issue is actually with the router (Fios G1100): 

I recently attempted to activate the VPN service on my QNAP NAS (TS-251, latest firmware). I used the NAS auto router configuration/UPnP to apply the port fowarding settings. This worked, and I was successfully abIe to connect with my phone to my home network via VPN. The next day, however, the VPN wouldn't connect and looking at the UPnP menu page, all the ports have connectivity errors. I then disabled UPnP and tried to manually open port 1194 for the VPN service - the port forwarding rule appears correct (192.168.1.241:1194 // Destination Ports 1194, TCP Any -> 1194, UDP Any -> 1194), but there is no connectivity to the VPN service.

I am now wondering if this is a router problem - when i check for open ports (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/) port 1194 is listed as closed (as are all the other ports that are failing in my NAS UPnP menu). Meanwhile, I am still able to use remote desktop, and port 3389 is indeed confirmed as open. 

Am I missing something? Try a hard reset of the router? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Port forwarding problems
jsa3071
Enthusiast - Level 1

In lieu of alternative suggestions, I'm going to hard reset the router and hope that solves it. Does anyone know if the firmware can be updated (needs to be updated?) once the router is reset back to factory defaults?

0 Likes
Re: Port forwarding problems
jonjones1
Legend

Firmware on the Quantum G1100 router can be updated via calling 1-800-VERIZON 

and selecting tech support. The Fios Quantum Gateway Router has many features or options which simply do not operate. MWave, USB , parental controls (limited) etc.

just google search it.

Although Verizon will not support any routers outside their own (Greenwave) you can use any personal router of your choice which will have full operational ability.

Those are your options.

Good Luck

0 Likes