Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Port forwarding woes

MDF1
Contributor
Contributor

Port forwarding woes

Message 1 of 3
(742 Views)

I have the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I router. 

I am attempting to forward ports 2300-2400 and 47624 to my PC, to enable me to play a certain online game.  The PC is running Windows 7 Home.

I have set up a static IP address for my PC at 192.168.1.8

I have (apparently) successfully created a port forwarding rule, which shows up in the router's web interface port-forwarding rules list as follows:

Networked Computer/Device: [x] 192.168.1.8    (the [x] is a checkbox with check mark in it)

Applications & Ports Forwarded:  Destination Ports 2300-2400,47624              
                                                            TCP Any -> 47624
                                                             UDP Any -> 47624
                                                            TCP Any -> 2300-2400
                                                            UDP Any -> 2300-2400

WAN Connection Type:  All Broadband Devices 

I have turned off the Windows Firewall, and disabled the "intrusion protection" in my Norton Security program.

Despite all this, port-scanning websites such as http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/  show that the ports in question are "closed."  Interestingly, when I test ports which I have NOT attempted to forward, the port-scanner website says the connection to the (non-forwarded)  port has timed out.  (This is the same result I get with the forwarded ports when my firewall is on.)  In other words, port scanners are drawing a distinction between the ports which I have forwarded (port-closed error) and ports I have not forwarded (timeout error).  So, my port-forwarding has accomplished something, but just not . . . you know . . .  actual port forwarding.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

-- Marc

2 REPLIES 2
Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Port forwarding woes

Message 2 of 3
(690 Views)

Yes, there is a distinction between closed and timed out.

In order for a port to show as OPEN, there must be an application running and actively listening on that port that will accept a connection.  You appartently didn't have your game running when you ran the port scanner.

In summary there are threee conditions:

Closed - Not forwarded.  Rejected by the router.

Timed Out - Opened in the router, but no application running to accept the connection.

Open - Forwarded and application accepts the connection.

MDF1
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Port forwarding woes

Message 3 of 3
(683 Views)

Hey, you're right!  Now I get a "Port open" message when the application is running.  Let's just hope that everything runs smoothly when I try to connect to a game server!  None are running right now.

Thank you! 

-- Marc

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title