Portforwarding with Westell 9100EM
kentm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am trying to add a port to the router that will allow the access to an IP camera on my network. I currently have two such cameras that have been working for a year now using this router. As I recall, getting the settings correct was not an easy task. However, I am unable to get anything to work this time. The camera has a fixed IP address and is accessible from other computers on the network. When I go to the port forwarding page, I select NEW ENTRY. I set the LOCAL HOST to the IP assigned to the camera. Then I enter the camera name, select the protocol (TCP) and then set the new port number as the same number in both the incoming and outgoing boxes. I do not set a public IP address. When I click on OK, I get an error message that looks like this:

"LOCAL HOST:  Enter a valid IP address or domain name."  The IP that I am using is the same one that I access the camera with on the internal network. Can anyone tell me why that IP is being called invalid.

Yes, I have read the other topic on this forum about port forwarding and I appear to have made all of the correct steps. There just seems to be something causing the IP to appear invalid.  

Does anyone have any ideas???

Kent

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Portforwarding with Westell 9100EM
kentm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found my mistake. It is NOT necessary to put a check mark in the LOCAL HOST box. Simply enter the camera IP in the space provided. Supply a name for id, select the protocol (TCP), Select "ANY" for the incoming and single for the DESTINATION  and supply the port number that you want to use in the box next to DESTINATION. 

Seems to be working fine

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Portforwarding with Westell 9100EM
kentm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found my mistake. It is NOT necessary to put a check mark in the LOCAL HOST box. Simply enter the camera IP in the space provided. Supply a name for id, select the protocol (TCP), Select "ANY" for the incoming and single for the DESTINATION  and supply the port number that you want to use in the box next to DESTINATION. 

Seems to be working fine

0 Likes