Possible to offer limited open WiFi access on secured network?
Cten
Enthusiast - Level 2

My home wireless network is secured with one of the standard protocols. It seems to be possible to give guests internet access via ethernet cable direct to the router.

Is there an easy way to give visitors temporary WiFi access without revealing or changing passwords, or deactivating wireless security? Perhaps an 802.11 dongle in a router ethernet port, or something like that?

This comes up often, so I'm hoping that there is an easy solution.

Thanks in advance-

0 Likes
Re: Possible to offer limited open WiFi access on secured network?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have an old router around, just hang that off of one of the wired network ports, and just turn that router on or off as you need it. Basically the best solution for now until Verizon adds guest functionality into the ActionTec routers.

Justin46
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

If you have an old router around, just hang that off of one of the wired network ports, and just turn that router on or off as you need it. Basically the best solution for now until Verizon adds guest functionality into the ActionTec routers.

Exactly what I have done, using an old Actiontec. My reason was not to avoid encryption and passwords, but rather I have my primary router set up with N Performance Mode ( no B/G support) and my son has an older laptop that does not support N.

Really simple setup, and I keep the old router off except when he needs it.

C102
Enthusiast - Level 2

Much obliged for the good advice. The Big A has this router for only $13: "Sabrent NT-WR1N Portable Wireless-N 802.11n 3G Network Router w/USB and RJ-45 Ethernet Connections". I haven't been able to tell from the maker's site, but it looks like it would connect to a FiOS router port via ethernet cable, then broadcast unsecured while the main router broadcasts securely. What do you experts think- is this just for cell phones, or will it do WiFi?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

I would look for another piece of hardware.  While it will do what you want  it was designed to take a 3G dongle for a PC and turn it into a wireless hotspot.

Look around for a standard Wifi router.  If you don't care or don't want to give your guests to much bandwidth look for an older Linksys 54G router and set it for G only.   You can pick them up for $25- $35 on e-Bay flashed with DD-WRT.  I'm sure if you look around locally you can find a used older router for $10.   I have stuff in my old stuff box which I would be thrilled to get $10.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@C10 wrote:

Much obliged for the good advice. The Big A has this router for only $13: "Sabrent NT-WR1N Portable Wireless-N 802.11n 3G Network Router w/USB and RJ-45 Ethernet Connections". I haven't been able to tell from the maker's site, but it looks like it would connect to a FiOS router port via ethernet cable, then broadcast unsecured while the main router broadcasts securely. What do you experts think- is this just for cell phones, or will it do WiFi?

Thanks again!

Won't work  That device feed by usb from a wireless 3g device to provide a wap.

What you need is a wap or router that is fed by ethernet   i.e not a wireless repeater

For example something like this

http://tinyurl.com/py7uagp

C102
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry to stretch this out - hope it's all useful to others now or in the future.

To ensure compatibility with whatever laptops/netbooks.tablets guests bring, B/G/N compatibility is important. Linksys E900/E1200 refurbished run about $20 - would those work?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@C10 wrote:

Sorry to stretch this out - hope it's all useful to others now or in the future.

To ensure compatibility with whatever laptops/netbooks.tablets guests bring, B/G/N compatibility is important. Linksys E900/E1200 refurbished run about $20 - would those work?

Those would work perfectly fine.

C102
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thx - will report back when new modem arrives.
0 Likes