Pre-install planning, another coax/cat5 question
AtomixNYC

Hi all. Getting FIOS TV + internet installed this coming Thursday, and have a few questions.

It's an apartment building in NYC.  Currently using TW.

Master bedroom - TV, cablebox, cable modem, Netgear dual band N600 wireless router, wired connection to PC (no wireless adaptor)

Living room -  TV, cablebox

Signal in the living room for various wireless devices, ie laptop/ipad/Wii is weak, due to another bedroom (couple of walls/closets) between the master + living room.

I tried switching to a less common channel and setting up another wireless router to serve as a bridge with some success.

Given the opportunity to redo the setup with the FIOS install, i'd like to move the wireless router to the Living room.

With that said, since my PC is in the bedroom with no wireless adaptor, will the FIOS installer 1) have a long enough cat5 cable? 2) wire it from the living room to the bedroom as part of the install?   I think it's probably ~ 50ft around the walls.

3) do I need to tell Verizon/FIOS in advance to the appointment this requirement, or will they have the adequate supplies to handle such install?  Last thing I want is to make another appointment. 4) there are existing coax cabling.  they'd been there prior to us moving in, and looked pretty old.  TW had some performance issues, and not sure if it's attributed to the cables.  Will FIOS run new cables?  If not, how/will they test the integrity of the existing cables? 5) I like the Netgear router, and not sure what type of router will be installed.  Is it an upgrade or a downgrade?  If I want to reuse the Netgear, do I need to request cat5 rather than coax?

thx

0 Likes
Re: Pre-install planning, another coax/cat5 question
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

1) have a long enough cat5 cable?

the installer will put the Verizon router wherever you request it, within reason, and the rest of the internal network would be up to you.

As the master bedroom has a coax connector you could add somethiong like an Actiontec ecb200 coax conneted extender which would allow you to connect the machine there via ethernet.

Could just connect the netgear router to to moca bridge and then your machine to the router as it is today.  You'd then have 2 wireless access points in the apartment.

5) I like the Netgear router, and not sure what type of router will be installed. Is it an upgrade or a downgrade? If I want to reuse the Netgear, do I need to request cat5 rather than coax?

The VZ installed router will almost certainly be a downgrade compated to the netgear, however you need the ZV router to service the STB's , TV guides, ppv etc.  as your apt isn't wired for cat5 you probably should leave it as a coax connect and look into the answer to 1. above.

The netgear router can be connected as a bridge to the VZ router via a lan to lan connect or as a different subnet via a lan to wan connect.

0 Likes