Preservation of Router Customizations
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

I'm thinking of getting FIOS.  I assume Verizon downloads new versions of Quantum Gateway firmware from time to time.  How badly do they clobber any changes you may have made (port forwarding, IP address allocation, parental controls, etc.).  How do you restore them?  Must they all be entered manually again??

Personally, I don't like the idea of two entities in control of the Gateway.  I like Comcast's model better when the router is under your control with a modem (modem only, not modem/router combination) sitting between the ISP and you.

I know it's possible to use your own router along with the Gateway, but all the solutions that I've seen look messy.  Anyone who knows a "clean" one, please educate me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Preservation of Router Customizations
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To answer your first question, firmware updates to the FiOS routers don't tend to destroy settings. It's only if the router is factory reset. Firmware Updates with any router can be an "off bets off" situation so it's not a unique question to just Verizon's routers.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon router is only needed for their TV service.
That is because their guide and VOD is done via IP.

Plus any new services that come up (like DVR anywhere).

So if you only have Internet, use your own router.

For both TV and Internet, it is best to use there router to start and add a router behind it to control your network (IMHO).

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To answer your first question, firmware updates to the FiOS routers don't tend to destroy settings. It's only if the router is factory reset. Firmware Updates with any router can be an "off bets off" situation so it's not a unique question to just Verizon's routers.

0 Likes