Previous server email
1KathleenM

Did switching my internet to FIOS somehow disable my previous ip server email?  I can access my email from my previous server but I am not able to receive emails since the switch to FIOS today?  Coincidence?  Is it just a problem with my previous server email account or a block by verizon fios?

0 Likes
Re: Previous server email
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

You have not supplied enough information for a good answer:

Which ISP was your previous email from ?  (@verizon.net, @comcast.com, @optonline.net, etc.) who was it?

Are you accessing that email account via a web site or are you using an email program such as Outlook or Thunderbird or something else?

If you are accessing your previous email account via their web site, the answer is NO.  You should not be having any issues UNLESS YOU DISCONTINUED THAT ACCOUNT.

If you have been using an email program to do it, the answer is yes. HOWEVER, all is not lost.  IF YOU HAVE NOT DISCONTINUED THAT ACCOUNT You can set-up your email program to continue to receive your email FROM them, but you have to set up your email program to send it FROM your verizon account. ( you may be able to also set up your email to SEND via the other server, but since you are no longer connected to that other server [verizon now brings the internet signal to your house] it would be such a headache to stay up with that you probably would not want to)

write back!

0 Likes
Re: Previous server email
prisaz
Legend

@1KathleenM wrote:

Did switching my internet to FIOS somehow disable my previous ip server email?  I can access my email from my previous server but I am not able to receive emails since the switch to FIOS today?  Coincidence?  Is it just a problem with my previous server email account or a block by verizon fios?

It has been mentioned lately that do to spam filtering issues, Verizon is blocking outbound mail to other providers mail servers, unless it comes from the verizon mail server. Webmail being an exception. TCP Port 25 for SMTP to be exact. Getting POP3 mail from other servers should not be a problem on TCP port 110. But outgoing mail will need to go through outgoing.verizon.net.

This is not only Verizon. I know where I work all mail must go through a secure mail server. Many networks have blocked outbound port 25 and other ports from making connections. This not only prevents spam but also makes the network more secure from hacking and viruses. All though I do not agree with the concept of blocking and feel you should be responsible for your own security. Many ISPs are tightening the belt.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/02/verizon_to_implement_spam_bloc.html

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-01-2009 07:55 AM
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-01-2009 08:03 AM
0 Likes