Re: Price increase while under contract
jonjones1
Legend

Read contracts carefully. States have laws in place to protect consumers.

a contract must benefit both parties. 

If that were not the case a customer could make those crazy changes and what do you think verizon would do? Thats right they would either terminate the agreement or try and ding the customer for the ETF.

in fact like i said check with the states attorney general to see if that is the way they see it.

0 Likes
Cityscan

I just filed a complaint against Verizon to my State Attorney Office.  The increase must not impact its contract customers, that's why you called it a Contract.  Users have no rights but to accept this increase which (in my state) is a 34% of increase; if choose to cancel (because of refusing accept the increase), there is penalty for your early termination.  This is outrageous and I am making a complaint and hope to seek justice. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Contracts have terms.

Typicallly, the only thing that is a fixed rate is content.

Things like equipment and other services and not fixed rate.

Plus a lot of times, you have a one year rate that rises for the second year.

jonjones1
Legend

@Cityscan wrote:

I just filed a complaint against Verizon to my State Attorney Office.  The increase must not impact its contract customers, that's why you called it a Contract.  Users have no rights but to accept this increase which (in my state) is a 34% of increase; if choose to cancel (because of refusing accept the increase), there is penalty for your early termination.  This is outrageous and I am making a complaint and hope to seek justice. 

I have read here and on other sites the old “content only is the contract” and not equipment. This is bunk. 

When i for example lease a car for three years, its on the total price of the car minus what they consider consumables (gas and oil and tires) the price does not go up and down every year to use a cigarette lighter.

now cable charges a set price to start a contract. I think many times they don’t actually have contracts. They will not raise customers while in a contract. So longer customers get the increase for equipment and other bogus fees but not contract or in contract customers. However it does not mean increase due to official taxes. Not those so called surchages verizon and others sneak in. If they do so its a material change to terms and conditions of your contract and you can get out of it AFTER you contact your provider to rescind it.

you did the right thing. Best of luck

0 Likes
Enthusiast - Level 1

What Verizon is saying is that they could have raised the price of the equipment by $100 and the customers are on the hook to pay or get out of the contract by paying an ealy termination fee. That is one sided contract with their long term loyal customers with fine prints which hooks you in paying the increase in charges.

Verizon- You are buying very bad publicity by scamming your loyal customers with fixed price contract. The money you collect from the equipment charge increase is far less than the "Bad Publicity and Loss of Loyaty" you are getting in return. Your completion loves this kind of moves. You will loose me as your customer at the end of this contract. I have other choices. This is a bad relationship (with a partner I cannot trust or not have full faith in) so it will end. I encourage others with high moral standing to do so.

jonjones1
Legend

Verizon is trying to make you think that they can raise prices at will. They cannot.

read the terms of service. Any material change to the terms or conditions of that agreement is grounds to terminate your service. If you call them and state the issue as such, verizon will correct the situation.

contact your states Attorney Generals Office and get their opinion on the matter.

you may be surprised at what they tell you. Call or write them or go online and file your complaint. No early termination fees on any agreement changes.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Equipment is not part of the ETF.

You can add or remove equipment at any time and it does not impact your contract terms.

One option would be to pruchase a device like a TiVO and use a cable card.

Or try contactng Verizon to see if there are any deals (maybe upgrades to newer STB if possible) to help reduce costs.

Another would be to reduce TV content to the lowest possible package and then switch to a streaming service.

Finally, if you have another provider available, see if they will pay your ETF as part of switching.

Unfortunately, this is common amongst service providers. We basically have a take it or leave it when it comes to cable. You can either stick with them or find another provider.

My apologies to CRobGauth, I just read the article below....
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.inquirer.com/business/verizon-fees-increase-dvr-set-top-box-customers-20190710.html

It would seem verizon does charge seperate contract prices on products and equipment. Its appalling.

Set-top Boxes
MSW3

I currently have 2 SD set-top boxes and 1 HD set-top box. Beginning in July, I am being billed for 3 HD boxes. I finally got to a real person (?) and was given the option to upgrade the SD boxes to HD (one of my tv's is not HD), but it would be an additional one-time fee of $50 (did not think to ask if this was $50 per box or $50 total for both). Was told all set-top boxes were now same monthly rental price and that DVR service for boxes was now a separate, additional charge. I only noticed the pricing/billing changes when my credit card company noticed an increase in bill. My 2 year contract is still in place until July 2020. The base bundle price with discounts stays the same, but equipment rentals, services, fees keep increasing along with taxes on these increases. Frustrated. Looking for alternatives.

0 Likes
Fees Increase in Middle of the Term?
m20191

I am halfway through my 2 year term and Verizon just increased the dvr and set top box rental fees.  I saw other posts note that only the bundle price is locked, but I checked my original confirmation which only said the estimate could change based on "activation dates, usage, adjustments".  It says nothing about the equipment fees!  What's to stop them from jacking up the box fees every month?  If I wanted to cancel they said I'd still be charged a cancellation fee.  This seems very deceptive.  

Anyone else go through this?  Do I call the consumer protection people?

0 Likes