Price increase while under contract
tw9855
Enthusiast - Level 2

As some others have noted, I too just got notice that my equipment charges will be going up even though I'm under a 2 year contract. This is unacceptable and I will be complaining to the public service commission.

Re: Price increase while under contract
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/about/terms-conditions/verizon-online

Section 9 (1) is what you should read.

you could turn in the router and get your own and you will save $144 a year in rental fees.

turn in your set top boxes if you have tv and purchase cablecards and save even more.

you could contact your states Attorney Generals Office as to if it is a material change to your terms and conditions of your service. 

0 Likes
tw9855
Enthusiast - Level 2

I already have my own router. After looking at my new bill, I see that they jacked up the set top box rental from $6 to $12/mo. Very shady of them. Every time I call them I have to waste 30-60 minutes of my time on hold. Regardless of how this gets resolved, I will be filing complaints with the proper agencies.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you read your terms of service, the contract pricing is for content only.

Equipment prices are subject to change.

jonjones1
Legend

Many times a material change to the terms and conditions of your service is reason to cancel. You see a contract is not a contract unless both parties benefit. It would be like if i was in construction and ordered 50,000 bricks at 10¢ each and then get a bill for 25¢ each when the contract stated otherwise.

contact your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission via google search, also contact you states Attorney Generals Office in reference to the contract issue. They maybe able to assist.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wrong.

When you agree to contract, it is stated as only for services. Equipment is not included.

So to use your analogy, you agree to buy bricks at a fixed price on a routine basis.

And rent the concrete mixer. But no fixed price.

Over the course of the term, the rental company raises the price of the mixer.

You have no recourse as the rental price was not fixed.

That's the contract you signed and agreed to.

You may not like it, and chose a different supplier in the future, but it is a legal contract.

That being said, you are also allowed to change the equipment over the course of time.

You can return the stbs and buy your own cable card capable equipment instead.

If equipment prices were fixed, you would also be required to keep it to term just like the fixed rate services.

jonjones1
Legend

Actually you are incorrect. Years ago the wireless side added on a fee to each customers invoices. It was a small 99¢ charge but the customers complained to their respective state agencies. Verizon was at that time told that anything above a set contract price is a material change to said contract.

in fact customers who called where given the .99¢ back as a credit. Over 12 months so a little over $11+ dollars. But the regulators did not say part A of a contract is not being affected but part B is. That is just a line that is given to confuse the consumer.

i use in example when cable companies price hike, it does not afftect those customers on a contract. Same thing would apply to verizon.  Existing contracts should be exempt. In hindsight the whole contract thing should be abolished like with cable to give customers choice. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Apples and oranges.
The contract you sign only covers content.

It does not cover equipment.

So the equipment is subject to fee changes as if you weren't under contract.

For example, you can't drop TV service without an ETF.

But you can drop equipment at any time.

jonjones1
Legend

There is nothing apples and oranges in regards to a contract and the terms and conditions. 

I make a contract that states i will give you internet service at for example $50 not including taxes and those made up surcharges. Say $60 and that agreement is for two years. Could be one year. In that time frame only up charge should be if state taxes change on your services. Internet is not taxed. So that is what i the customer agree to. In fact in verizons case they make a contract that will lock you in or pay $350 on down prorated to the end of that contract. That is the agreement. If i as verizon want to jack up the prices on set top boxes or even router rentals they can wait until the contract term expires. This is what cable does on all their services. They dont raise your rates during that term of service. However after the initial term of service its look out for price increases almost every 6 months. Like I said this is not apples to oranges. Service terms must be adhered to. Raising the rates during this contract term outside of state taxes, is a material change to that initial contract. Google it, call your states attorney generals office and let them tell you.

its because customers of fios don’t realize verizon is in default that they just ignore it and then keep paying and paying. However the small numbers of customers that catch it can and do leave or get the credits off their invoices.  Consumers must pay attention to their monthly invoices. And if an increase during a contract (not off contract which doesn’t have any recourse other than cancellation of service) call up have it removed, contact the state regulators and don’t let them get away with it.

0 Likes
fiosuser219
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with @CRobGauth. According to the terms of service, the contract pricing is for content only and the equipment pricing is subject to change.