Print Server
AH30001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi.  Just upgraded to FIOS from DSL.  My D-Link print server no longer works.  It is hard wired to the FIOS modem LAN port just as it was in the DSL modem.  The FIOS modem apparently does not recognize the print server.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Print Server
AH30001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all - Problem solved.  Thanks to all those who offered suggestions.  The problem was that I had changed the I.P. on the print server many years ago when I first installed it.  The label I taped to the bottom of the PS with that info got separated (dried out tape?) when it was being handled during the FIOS installation.  Luckily I found it this afternoon while cleaning my office.  Once I had the proper I.P. I was able to access the PS setup menu and change its address to the new FIOS subnet.  Then to the FIOS router to set the proper static address for the PS.  Everything is fine now.  My printers are back on line.  Again thanks all.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend
With fios I use my printers as wireless connections. Depending on how many printers you own you may just use them as wireless devices.

Some printers on initial setup need a USB connection to set up either via wireless or direct connect.

If your wireless is active and you know the ssid and password for your network then you should have no problem connecting to it.

If you are trying to connect via the routers USB ports that is not possible. It is disabled by design.

0 Likes
AH30001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply but no that is not the issue.  I have multiple printers - one USB the other parallel.  They are connected to a D-link print server.  Everything worked fine until the print server was reconnected to the FIOS modem.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your print server have a static ip or dynamic?

If static, you may need to change it as subnet may have changed.

If dynamic, didm link light come on?

Did you power reset server?

If you log in to router, do you see it show up in list of devices on main page?

AH30001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi.  I can not get to the setup menu for the Print Server by inputing its I.P. address in my browser.  To me, this indicates that the FIOS modem is not communicating with the Print Server.  When properly setup, the PS used a fixed I.P. and subnet 255.255.255.0.  I have the latest version of Windows 10 and it does not have the same menus as Ver 7 which I had last used to configure the PS.  The PS worked fine after Micrisoft pushed the Ver 10 update.

The PS does not show up on the list of connected devices page of Win 10.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Default subnet for FiOS router is 192.168.1.0

Is the static IP of your PS on that subnet?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@AH3000 wrote:

Thanks for the reply but no that is not the issue.  I have multiple printers - one USB the other parallel.  They are connected to a D-link print server.  Everything worked fine until the print server was reconnected to the FIOS modem.

This is going to be a long shot, but did you try moving the print server cabling to each LAN ports on the Verizon "ROUTER" ?

or did you try another Ethernet cable? Sometimes the connection could be screwed up. 

Parallel ? That is ancient. I have not used a connection like that since I used an impact printer, or a first generation HP printer. 

Although this may not not be a cheaper way to go but if you went out and purchased AirPrint printers that use both wifi or USB connection you would be much better off.

i use the new Epson E8500 with the two years worth of ink but $450 is high money.

i also use the Canon AirPrint printer because it does double sided printing my Epson doesn't but it was only $140 at BJ's Wholesale Club but the ink is constantly running out and that is not cheap. You can't win.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@AH3000 wrote:

Hi.  I can not get to the setup menu for the Print Server by inputing its I.P. address in my browser.  To me, this indicates that the FIOS modem is not communicating with the Print Server.  When properly setup, the PS used a fixed I.P. and subnet 255.255.255.0.  I have the latest version of Windows 10 and it does not have the same menus as Ver 7 which I had last used to configure the PS.  The PS worked fine after Micrisoft pushed the Ver 10 update.

The PS does not show up on the list of connected devices page of Win 10.

Just found this.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-518191.html

I think the last last post in the forum thread link above may be what you need.

good luck 

0 Likes
AH30001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks all.  I just downloaded the manual for the FIOS modem and will do some reading to determine if I can find a solution.  The link mentioned above should be helpful.  As for the reason to keep the parallel port printer - it is an HP 4 and is bullet proof.  I bought in several years ago at a going-out-of business-sale dirt cheat with seven ink cartridges.  Enough ink to last me several years.  Everything was fine until Verizon forced me on to FIOS by "no longer supporting DSL."  Now I have faster internet which I didn't need and no printers which I do need!!!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you know the IP of the PS?

If so, it should be an easy fix.

BTW, FiOS uses a router only.

No modem.

And the manual is going to be very generic.

0 Likes