Problem streaming Netflix HD,
kbrodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just purcahsed a new sony KDL-46ex701 and was very delighted to get streaming HD from netfix. 

Unfortunately, I found out that it only seems to work at off peak hours -  great at 2pm tuesday, impossible to use due to netflix reloading every 2 minutes at 6pm weds.  I have 15 mbit download service.

Obvioulsy the equipmnet is ok beacuse it works some of the time. 

Netflix tech support suggest it was verizon flucuation in service.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thanks

Re: Problem streaming Netflix HD,
kbrodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Technical Support recommendation #1:

#1:reset my router - >

OK I'll try that tonight.

kbrodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon tech support indicates that with my 15mbps service I should not have any issues streaming netfix HD to my TV.

I tried the following:

#1:  made sure there was nothing else on my network. All other PC's in my house are turned off.

# 2: During poor service I changed from wireless router to a direct CAT 5 connection - same issue with netflix having to stop and load.

Can anyone recommend another service besides netflix  that  I could try as a test to see if I can get HD from someone else during the poor service period?

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well, when you're having the problem with Netflix you could run a few tests at various servers at speedtest.net to see what you're getting.

I have to say that we have a Roku box and never ever have any problem streaming Netflix videos.

82gman
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a sony as well, and I am having the same exact problem. Maybe it is the sony. I might try a Roku.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
A change of the DNS servers that the device streaming Netflix uses might work. CDNs seem to be DNS to determine where you go instead of by GeoIP many times.
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Also during the times you are having issues. Go to a computer and run a speedtest. You want to make sure that you are just not having an internet connection issue before you start digging too far into the equipment.

Hokiedad2
Contributor - Level 1

Hi Kbrodog,

We have 15/5 service with a Sony BDP-N460 connected via network cable to the Actiontec router. Our Netflix streaming has been pretty good. I don't know if it helps with buffering but I have a 1GB flash drive plugged into the USB port on the back of the player. The only problem we had was jittery playback, which was solved by changing a setting on the TV.

0 Likes
Simmy2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same problem- it seems to be a Verizon FIOS issue, not Netflix. The same problem exists when I try to stream Amazon movies through my wireless blu ray. It works most of the time but freezes during peak times when people in my area are fighting for signals. Verizon sent me a new router and that helped but I still get freezing especially on Sunday nights. Sometimes it improves things if I reset the router. Another internet provider may be an option.

hlederer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here. Netflix HD freezes after playing for a few moments, then continues with random freezes.  I have my own router. Unplugged Verizon FIOS and  plugged in a my backup internet connection, a Clear Wireless modem, while it is a much slower connection, no more Netflix HD freezing, works fine. When I switch back, same issue. This isolates the issue to Verizon.

I won't be calling Verizon until their strike has ended, so for now I will be using wireless to watch Netflex movies.  Any utilities out there to trace where the connection is dropping and re building?