Problem switching from Spectrum to Verizon
GAR12

So I'm way confused....I have Spectrum and am switching to Verizon, internet service only. I'm in a Manhattan apartment building and have coax cable. They say I don't need any new equipment or wires. Just attach a router and turn on my service. But....1)the current router/modem I am using with Spectrum is a Netgear C3700. Will that work? I also have a Linksys N750, but that does not have a coax input. Do I need to buy a new router? and 2) Since i haven't turned Spectrum off yet, how do I even tell if Verizon is now working. I have an internet connection, but who is supplying it?!

I've gotten three very different answers from customer service, and am getting close to giving up and sticking with Spectrum, which would be regrettable.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem switching from Spectrum to Verizon
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since Verizon FIOS does not use Modems, you are provided access to the net via Spectrum.

Verizon FIOS will add in an ONT. From the ONT there will be a TV wire that connects to Verizon's MOCA Router.

Since you are getting Internet Only (No FIOS TV) after the things are setup you can put the FIOS Router into bridge mode. By bridge mode so that it does not handle the public IP and cause Double NAT.

As how to bridge the FIOS router, that will depend on the router that they provide to you.  As an (even while you do not have FIOS TV) example Just got a G3100 and a new setup. How do I bridge it?

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since Verizon FIOS does not use Modems, you are provided access to the net via Spectrum.

Verizon FIOS will add in an ONT. From the ONT there will be a TV wire that connects to Verizon's MOCA Router.

Since you are getting Internet Only (No FIOS TV) after the things are setup you can put the FIOS Router into bridge mode. By bridge mode so that it does not handle the public IP and cause Double NAT.

As how to bridge the FIOS router, that will depend on the router that they provide to you.  As an (even while you do not have FIOS TV) example Just got a G3100 and a new setup. How do I bridge it?

jonjones1
Legend

This is getting way to complicated. First off depending on your service speed requested verizon fios must hook you via ethernet. All new installs are now done this way.

you have spectrum for service, unless you had service disconnected there is no fios being supplied to you. The device you are using is not compatible with fios.

a new install must be done in order to have service. Most non verizon routers do not have a coaxial input so you need first a tech visit to install the ONT, the ethernet to your apartment and you either buy a new customer owned router like a Netgear or Asus or TP Link Archer or you buy the router from fios or rent one from $12-$15 per month from them.