Problem with Fios Linksys WRT54G Router( It's a Actiontec M1424MR, my mistake)
rac43
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have had Fios for years and just added my first wireless notebook. Trying to log into router to change security settings from WEP to WAP.

Should be able to log onto router at http://192.168.1.1. When I get to that verizon page, all I sould have to do is type the word "admin" in the password line to access router and what I get is 3 charactors  inserted for each one I type. For "admin", it  puts in ************, 15 charactors and won't log on.. Any advise on how I can log into his router to change  wireless security settings? By the way, I'm trying all of this throught a wired desttop computer, same router used.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with Fios Linksys WRT54G Router
rac43
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

Also if you want a really hard key. I have found that I like this generator. I told my 14year old if she can type every character in her IPOD, then she can use the wireless. Yes I use all 63 characters.

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

WOW, can not thank you enough! I will give it a try tomorrow when I'm  not half asleep. Will post the results  here. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@rac43 wrote:

Have had Fios for years and just added my first wireless notebook. Trying to log into router to change security settings from WAP to WEP.

Should be able to log onto router at http://192.168.1.1. When I get to that verizon page, all I sould have to do is type the word "admin" in the password line to access router and what I get is 3 charactors  inserted for each one I type. For "admin", it  puts in ************, 15 charactors and won't log on.. Any advise on how I can log into his router to change  wireless security settings? By the way, I'm trying all of this throught a wired desttop computer, same router used.

Now Fios has never supplied the WRT54G router and has used Dlink at the start, and then switched to Actiontec, and Westel. So the following applied to those routers. If you are running a Linksys you milage will be different.

It has been a while since I have seen this question. User account is admin, password used to be password as default and techs changed it to password1, which everyone new. So Verizon changed the password to matched the serial number of the router. ignore the tre charactors for each key stroke, it is a security measure incase someone is looking at youe screen. Yes it will be displayed as three, but the router knows what you are typing.

rac43
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

@rac43 wrote:

Have had Fios for years and just added my first wireless notebook. Trying to log into router to change security settings from WAP to WEP.

Now Fios has never supplied the WRT54G router and has used Dlink at the start, and then switched to Actiontec, and Westel. So the following applied to those routers. If you are running a Linksys you milage will be different.

It has been a while since I have seen this question. User account is admin, password used to be password as default and techs changed it to password1, which everyone new. So Verizon changed the password to matched the serial number of the router. ignore the tre charactors for each key stroke, it is a security measure incase someone is looking at youe screen. Yes it will be displayed as three, but the router knows what you are typing.

You are so correct and my error in the modem type. I do in fact have an Aciiontec M1424NR Router. The admin sign on still won't work and don't remember what the tech assigned when he installed in 2007 but if it is the serial number, I'll find that and put it in instead.? I hope!  Thanks for the advise. My first time trying wireless.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yes the techs were using password1, which was known by everyone. There were some threats that could access the router from your internal network and make changes. So Verizon connected to all routers and if the password was default or simple, they changed it to the serial number. I hope you figure it out and get your wireless up and running. By the way the router should have the SSID and wireless key attached to a sticker on the device. By default the router uses WEP, and to be more secure you should investigate WAP which is not perfect, but better.

rac43
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

Yes the techs were using password1, which was known by everyone. There were some threats that could access the router from your internal network and make changes. So Verizon connected to all routers and if the password was default or simple, they changed it to the serial number. I hope you figure it out and get your wireless up and running. By the way the router should have the SSID and wireless key attached to a sticker on the device. By default the router uses WEP, and to be more secure you should investigate WAP which is not perfect, but better.

Thank lots prisaz. I finally got into the router setup, changed my password to a good one then went through the set  up pages Verizon provides for this M142WR.  Man,  I'm a dummy when it comes to wireless so going through the set up fields and changing from WEP to WAP looks like a tech nightmare to me. Getting a new WAP encription key is beyond me now. Any advice in this area would be appreciated. Heck, I tried to change the encrypion  from 64 to 128 and it would not let me do that either, bummer! I can build a desktop from scratch but wireless is Greek to me.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rac43 wrote:
Thank lots prisaz. I finally got into the router setup, changed my password to a good one then went through the set  up pages Verizon provides for this M142WR.  Man,  I'm a dummy when it comes to wireless so going through the set up fields and changing from WEP to WAP looks like a tech nightmare to me. Getting a new WAP encription key is beyond me now. Any advice in this area would be appreciated. Heck, I tried to change the encrypion  from 64 to 128 and it would not let me do that either, bummer! I can build a desktop from scratch but wireless is Greek to me.

Select advanced security settings

select wpa/wpa2

select pre-shared key

type in whatever you want the key to be - WRITE IT DOWN if yiu can't remember it as you need to enter it on all workstations

select an alorithm

say apply

you're done - enter the key on the workstations

prisaz
Legend

Also if you want a really hard key. I have found that I like this generator. I told my 14year old if she can type every character in her IPOD, then she can use the wireless. Yes I use all 63 characters.

0 Likes
rac43
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

WOW, can not thank you enough! I will give it a try tomorrow when I'm  not half asleep. Will post the results  here. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
rac43
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, went to the number generator page and got a wap2 160 bit code, got into my router and changed the codes to WAP2. Took 5 tries to get all numbers typed into laptop but finally got connected. Thanks so much for the info and help. Will feel a lot more secure now and learned a bunch for the experts here.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I copied and pasted it into a text file. Then put it on a usb memory stick. So it is copy and paste. But glad to hear you got it working, I liked the generator because it comes up with a fairly secure random key with no thought on your part. You should have seen my daughter put it in her Ipod touch, got it on the second try.