Problem with STB after moving router
deeve5707

Hello, I just moved my router from where it was to a new location behind my TV. I split the cable coax with a 5-2400 4 way splitter to allow the the QIP7100 receiver to get one line and the router to get another. After hooking everything up the router/internet seems to be fine with good speed. The TV picture (HD/STD) is good, but the program guide/On Demand are not working. I have reset both the modem and stb with the same result.

I logged into the router and the STB are showing not active. Upon checking the router status under the COAX is it showing red "Cable Disconnected" I had recently replaced my router and from looking at my screen caps from the old router setup show COAX had been connected and working fine.

Any idea what that is COAX is and what the problem might be?

0 Likes
Re: Problem with STB after moving router
prisaz
Legend

@deeve5707 wrote:

Hello, I just moved my router from where it was to a new location behind my TV. I split the cable coax with a 5-2400 4 way splitter to allow the the QIP7100 receiver to get one line and the router to get another. After hooking everything up the router/internet seems to be fine with good speed. The TV picture (HD/STD) is good, but the program guide/On Demand are not working. I have reset both the modem and stb with the same result.

I logged into the router and the STB are showing not active. Upon checking the router status under the COAX is it showing red "Cable Disconnected" I had recently replaced my router and from looking at my screen caps from the old router setup show COAX had been connected and working fine.

Any idea what that is COAX is and what the problem might be?

If you reset the router and did not wait for it to reboot and connect before the STB was restarted, it could be that the STB did not establish a connection. Recheck all your connections between the splitter and the STB. Are you sure the 5-2400 splitter is bi-directional?

Update I left out.

If all looks good, cycle the power from the STB now that the internet is working. Use the power cord.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The splitter bandwidth is good. that 5-2400 is actually a little overkill but should work fine. And even though I likely know the answer since the internet is working, but double check to make sure it is a bi-directional splitter, not a unidirectional.

The program guide comes from the router/internet. and with them connected right there together it should work great. As long as the signal can be transmitted in both directions.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

LOL, prisaz beat me to it.

0 Likes
deeve5707

How would I check that they were bidirectional? This is what I am using.  There are only three wires and a splitter I put in, so it can only be one of those things. I did did switch the wires between the STB and the router and the router worked fine so I guess it can only be the wire that goes from the splitter to the wall connection or the splitter itself?

BTW I did wait for the router to reboot before powering up the STB. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@deeve5707 wrote:

How would I check that they were bidirectional? This is what I am using.  There are only three wires and a splitter I put in, so it can only be one of those things. I did did switch the wires between the STB and the router and the router worked fine so I guess it can only be the wire that goes from the splitter to the wall connection or the splitter itself?

BTW I did wait for the router to reboot before powering up the STB. 

It would say Bi Directional, and that one does not. On the device or the packaging. Even though it says it will handle higher frequencies. I have one from Radio Shack that works for me, but some have rated them bad.

Google search.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bi+directional+splitter&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&...

0 Likes
deeve5707
I'll do some more digging. I Googled what is a bidirectional splitter and came up with this.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22935807-Bidirectional-splitter

It seems that the range ( lower) may be how you tell if it bidirectional or not. I don't know if what is in that post is correct or not.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@deeve5707 wrote:
I'll do some more digging. I Googled what is a bidirectional splitter and came up with this.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22935807-Bidirectional-splitter

It seems that the range ( lower) may be how you tell if it bidirectional or not. I don't know if what is in that post is correct or not.

If you log in on the router and double click the globe, you can see the coax frequency for the IP and mine runs at 1150 MHz. Bi-Directional means that the splitter can receive and transmit in both directions for the MoCA standard. Some splitters are rated at higher frequencies for special purposes, and will pass DC voltages for say a SAT LNB amplifier, but will not properly pass RF in both directions. Your splitter shows the DC bypass, but does not show bidirectional. I do not believe the link is accurate. If there is anyone else that would like to comment, please feel free.

0 Likes
deeve5707
Thanks for the advice on this. I ended up having my wife go to homedepot and get their top line GE 5-2300 2way splitter thinking that it must be bidirectional. I also read that not using all 4 connections on a splitter could degrade the signal, so I thought it might help to get a splitter for only what i needed. I also had her pick up some RG6 (was using rg59) thinking that may help. While I was waiting for the parts to arrive and just for giggles I rechecked everything and reset the stb. What do ya know that the program started working with the existing setup. I'm not sure what happened now that wasn't then, but the original must have been bidirectional even though it doesn't say on it. The new GE splitter does not say if it bidirectional or not.

Anyway, things seem to be working well. Go figure.
0 Likes