My Experience with WIFI slow speeds and Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router
rlyacht1

I thought I'd pile on here.  I switched ot FiOS from RCN because my building contracts for the whole building and residents get a much better rate using the building's service.  I was actually quite happy with RCN.

With FiOS, my wired connection is great and fast, and all TV stuff is fine too.  And I wasn't really too worried about the actiontec, despite having read all those negative comments on places like dslreports.  

However as soon as I tried connecting wirelessly, I got horrible speeds, much worse than I had with RCN using my own router and an RCN-provided motorola cable modem, *even*though* my FiOS wired speed is much better.  I asked the tech doing the installaion about this, and he repeated the comment above, essentially saying that Wifi is free and you are paying for the "to the home" wired service.

After reading a few threads on tweaking settings on the actiontec, I just connected my buffalo router to the actiontec and my wireless speed improved dramatically.   I know it does lots of things, and for the money, it might be a great value, but I have no doubt that  the wifi on the actiontec is sub-standard.  And if it were just a matter of tweaking a few settings, why would't  Verizon train their techs to make the necessary tweaks (or pre-tweak the settings), rather than telling them this party line to repeat?

It is disingenuous for Verizon to have that party line about wifi being free and paying for the wired service.  These days, *everyone* wants internet access, and they invariably use it over wifi. So Verizon, please acknowledge this and provide a better router!

0 Likes
Re: Problem with WIFI slow speeds and Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router
RjK311jR
Enthusiast - Level 1
For those of you with the actiontec the login is admin! The pw van be found on the unit itself, it uses number letters upper and lower and also ^ that! When entering It, it will sometimes look like your entering more or less but don't worry its putting the correct pw in! Be careful once your in though! Opening wrong stuff allows the bad people in! Lol
0 Likes
Re: Problem with WIFI slow speeds and Verizon Actiontec MI424WR router
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RjK311jR wrote:
For those of you with the actiontec the login is admin! The pw van be found on the unit itself, it uses number letters upper and lower and also ^ that! When entering It, it will sometimes look like your entering more or less but don't worry its putting the correct pw in! Be careful once your in though! Opening wrong stuff allows the bad people in! Lol

Passwords vary by version.  And the special characters may vary or not be included.  For the most recent models passwords were printed on the label

For earlier models it should be the Serial number of the router.

After a reset of the router the password should be

The password printed on the label (PASSWORD PRINTED AFTER THE ID: ADMIN).  NOTE NOT THE PASWORD (PASSPHRSE) Listed near the SSID of the router.

May be the serial number if no password printed, but more likely will either ask you to set a password, or be the value "password".

0 Likes