Problem with wired connections to Fios Quantum Gateway
Tubwreck
Enthusiast - Level 2

The wired connections to my Fios Quantum gateway all failed this morning, after having worked fine for several months. The WiFi connections continued to work.

This is the second Quantum router that has experienced this problem.

The configuration screen shown below indicates that two of the ports are connected (a Google WiFi mesh device and a switch with several PCs, a printer, and a couple of apple TV devices. But the status says "Disconnected"..

When I speak to Fios support, all they can do is send me a replacement router. I'm now on my third router in the past few months -- is there anything I can do to reset or fix this problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with wired connections to Fios Quantum Gateway
Tubwreck
Enthusiast - Level 2

This was user error on my part. There was a device with a static IP address connected to the router through a switch, but the IPV4 address distribution was not configured to exclude this address.

I had been trying to debug the issue by connecting a laptop directly to the router (as directed by Verizon) but I had not been unplugging the other devices. Apparently a misconfigured device causes the entire Ethernet interface to become disconnected.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

As long as verizon sends the replacement units that is about all they can do.

If you don't have fios tv you could just use your own store bought router and connect to the internet that way.

Use a google search to view the compatible routers to use for stand alone fios internet prior to your purchasng it and giving back the other verizon rented router. You save money by not using their routers.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no such thing as a "fios compatible router" besides the Verizon models.  Any site you find that lists non-Verizon "compatible" routers doesn't have any credibility.  Many of those sites simply cut-and-pasted some really bad advice from years ago; you can easily tell they are bad as they call the router a "modem," which is incorrect for fios.

Any router can be used with fios, as long as you don't have Verizon TV service and are provisioned for Ethernet WAN.  There are lots of excellent choices out there at various price and performance points.  Search reputable router review sites for good advice.

As to the OP's issue, repeated failures suggests a problem beyond the router.   The Verizon routers are well designed.  One failure such as the OP describes is rare, to have two similar failures in short period of time suggests a non-router issue.  I'd look at the Ethernet cabling to start.  If it's installed inside walls, it may be damaged and picking up voltage from power lines.  If that's the case, it could be a safety issue.

Tubwreck
Enthusiast - Level 2

This was user error on my part. There was a device with a static IP address connected to the router through a switch, but the IPV4 address distribution was not configured to exclude this address.

I had been trying to debug the issue by connecting a laptop directly to the router (as directed by Verizon) but I had not been unplugging the other devices. Apparently a misconfigured device causes the entire Ethernet interface to become disconnected.

jonjones1
Legend

Fios compatible routers are routers that work fully as stand alone routers. No one here said modems.

Additionally Verizon is hawking their own site here that shows what they consider compatible routers

Verizon Routers | Verizon Internet Support

But as I said you don't need their routers.

A stand alone router like the TP Link Archer A7 or a ASUS work without the need for any Verizon router rentals.

They work as stand alone connection barring a customer having TV service.  This way a customer saves the router rental fees each month which added per year the customer can buy a router for much less and save money.

You also were stating the same in your reply as to buying any router, but not all work as stand alone routers. It doesn't save a customer money if they have to use the new router in access point mode.

And many sites are reputable just google them. Best Buy and Amazon to name a few. the ones that say Modems are not for fios, more for cable. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

Use a google search to view the compatible routers to use for stand alone fios internet prior to your purchasng it and giving back the other verizon rented router.

Your previous comment implied there is such a thing as a "compatible router to use for stand alone fios."  This is not accurate; any router you can buy today will work with fios.  I suspect you didn't word this as well as you intended.

There have been a recent rash of posts to this forum linking to click-bait sites that claim to list "fios compatible routers."  But the articles are old, cut-and-pasted, and refer to fios routers as modems!  They are clearly designed to sell adds, not information.  If people google for "fios compatible routers" they will likely land on these misleading sites.  When searching for routers, people should leave out the "fios compatible" to get meaningful results.  I'm trying to steer people away from these useless sites and starve the click-baiters.

Your advice to use BestBuy, Amazon and other reputable sites for consumer results is excellent.  I'd also add in to use other well known tech review sites, like TomsGuide or PCMag.  Googling "router reviews" should find them.

The link you provided for routers Verizon considers compatible for fios is very short; it's three Verizon fios routers.  There are a couple of non-Verizon router/modems listed for DSL users, but that doesn't apply here.  The simple fact is Verizon doesn't consider anything but a G3100, G1100 or Actiontec as a fios compatible router.  Anyone who uses a non-Verizon router gives up Verizon support as a consequence, but any router will work fine (as long as Verizon TV boxes aren't used.)

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tubwreck wrote:

Glad you figured it out and appreciate your posting the details!

Another possible solution: If the device in question supports DHCP, setup a static DHCP reservation in the router.  Then, you can manage the device's IP address entirely from the router.  This how I handle devices I want to have static IP's (printer, NAS, ...).

jonjones1
Legend

@gs0b wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

Use a google search to view the compatible routers to use for stand alone fios internet prior to your purchasing it and giving back the other verizon rented router.

Your previous comment implied there is such a thing as a "compatible router to use for stand alone fios."  This is not accurate; any router you can buy today will work with fios.  I suspect you didn't word this as well as you intended.

There have been a recent rash of posts to this forum linking to click-bait sites that claim to list "fios compatible routers."  But the articles are old, cut-and-pasted, and refer to fios routers as modems!  They are clearly designed to sell adds, not information.  If people google for "fios compatible routers" they will likely land on these misleading sites.  When searching for routers, people should leave out the "fios compatible" to get meaningful results.  I'm trying to steer people away from these useless sites and starve the click-baiters.

Your advice to use BestBuy, Amazon and other reputable sites for consumer results is excellent.  I'd also add in to use other well known tech review sites, like TomsGuide or PCMag.  Googling "router reviews" should find them.

The link you provided for routers Verizon considers compatible for fios is very short; it's three Verizon fios routers.  There are a couple of non-Verizon router/modems listed for DSL users, but that doesn't apply here.  The simple fact is Verizon doesn't consider anything but a G3100, G1100 or Actiontec as a fios compatible router.  Anyone who uses a non-Verizon router gives up Verizon support as a consequence, but any router will work fine (as long as Verizon TV boxes aren't used.)

Absolutely correct; it is a trade off if a customer uses their own router versus verizons router(s) but I have found the fios internet has had zero downtime at least in my case using my own router from day 1 and still excellent to this day. Getting only support to the ONT is the trade off.

However if customers don't pay attention to what router they are buying for fios they may very well indeed have to use the verizon router anyway which I like to steer folks away from since access point mode is not a money saver via having to pay $175 in rental fees per year. And the cost of the customer owned router.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

In this thread, I did not suggest using a non-Verizon router as an AP behind a Verizon router.  It is a useful setup for Verizon TV subscriber who must have Verizon router and needs to improve WiFi coverage, but we aren't discussing that here.

As for cost, users who want or need (TV subscribers) a Verizon router can eliminate rental fees by several methods.  These include:

• Subscribe a a new user to a Gigabit service. Verizon currently waives the G3100 rental fee in this situation.  No idea how long that will last, but it is the case today.
  • Buy a new G3100 router direct from Verizon for $299.  While a bit high for a WiFi-6 router, it's not completely outrageous.  Especially if someone values being able to call Verizon support for router issues (most techy folk value this at zero, but some people like it.)
  • Buy a used G1100 for under $50.  They work very well for TV and gig-internet.  They don't have WiF-6.  They are fully supported by Verizon including firmware updates.

But yea, customers need to pay attention to what Verizon tells them.  Otherwise they will end up renting a Verizon router.  Verizon doesn't tell people all their router options; they keep it simple tell customers to rent or buy a their router.  I can't say I blame them, but that's why we're here!