Problems since upgrading
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last week, I upgraded my service from 20/5 to 50/25.  Even since then, the majority of the files that I download are corrupt.  Sometimes I need to download the same file as many as 10 times before it will unzip without a CRC error.

The other problem is, since upgrading, I've lost Internet service twice.  Both times, I needed to reboot the system by unplugging the UPS and removing the battery (a router reset didn't fix the problem either time).  The first time, I did this while speaking with FiOS tech support.  The second time, I just went through the "checklist" (reboot router, reset rounter, disconnect UPS & Battery).

Prior to upgrading last week, I've never needed to disconnect the UPS.  Unitl last week, FiOS has been extremely dependable for me.  If I've had to reset the router 4 times in the two years that I've had the service, that would be a lot.

Nothing else in my system has changed since upgrading my service.  I have to believe that these two problems are releated to one anohter (as well as to the upgrade).

HELP!!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problems since upgrading
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3

A new router (Rev. I) seems to have solved my problem.  Files that previously produced a different MD5 checksum every time I downloded them, on two separate PC's, are now all downloading correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3

I probably should have also mentioned that my PC is connected to the router via ethernet.  Although I use Wifi for other components (cell phone & Sirius XM Internet radio), my download problem is via hardwire, not Wifi.

0 Likes
BigMikeNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am experiencing the same problem.   Went from 25mbps service to 75mbps speed and could not download ANYTHING without CRC errors.  I couldn't even upgrade iTunes without it failing.  I called FiOS support and they sent me a replacement router (new one, Revision "I").   I just installed it last night, but I'm still getting CRC errors, not with the same frequency as before but still around 30% to 40% of my downloads fail due to CRC errors.  Prior to upgrading I NEVER had any of these issues.  I replaced all the network cables without any change.  Now I'm wondering if I should look into moving from COAX to Ethernet out of the ONT (not even sure if that is possible).   Anyone have any ideas???

0 Likes
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since posting my problem, I've tried removing a Gigabit switch from between my router and PC, changed the Ethernet cable from the router to the PC, downloaded files to a different hard drive and I updated my LAN driver.  None of this has helped.  I've downloaded the same large file repeatedly and run it through an MD5 checksum algorithm, which has shown the file to be different nearly every time (the only time that it's consistent across downloads is when it's correct).

On Monday night, I completely lost service again.  On Tuesday morning, I called Verizon (from my office).  The tech was able to see that the IP had been dropped and the ONT was reporting that there appeared to be a bad cable.  The tech told me to disconnect and reconnect the coax from the router when I got home, in case it was loose, and told me that, if that didn't help, they would send someone out to look at the problem.  Well, it didn't work and now I have a repair appointment for Monday morning.

Today, I'm borrowing a laptop from work and I'll try downloading the same large file, using the laptop & Wifi to prove that the problem isn't with my PC or internal wiring (or maybe prove that it is with my PC or internal wiring).  If it is my problem, I'll cancel the service call.

When the repair guy comes, I'll ask him about the possibilty of replacing the coax with Ethernet (or if that will even help).

0 Likes
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last night, I tested using a company laptop and Wifi, with 100% accuracy.  Then, I connected the laptop to the router via ethernet, using a new cable and had similar problems as I have with my personal PC.

Downloaded the same file multiple times, ran MD5 checksum on downloaded file, got different checksum each time.

Sounds like the problem is the router.

0 Likes
MisterT1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bill,

Have you tested your upload speed on sites like speedtest.net or speakeasy.net?

I also have the 50/25 plan.  I only get 50/5 on those sites.  Weird.

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

If you have FIOS TV you won't be able to switch from coax to CAT5e.  It's an either/or thing.

0 Likes
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3
Speedtest.net = 58.54 Mbps/35.23 Mbps
speakeasy.net = 51.47 Mbps/

@MisterT wrote:

Bill,

Have you tested your upload speed on sites like speedtest.net or speakeasy.net?

I also have the 50/25 plan.  I only get 50/5 on those sites.  Weird.

Thanks

Tom

0 Likes
BillBroderick
Enthusiast - Level 3

@weedeater wrote:

If you have FIOS TV you won't be able to switch from coax to CAT5e.  It's an either/or thing.

Thanks.  Don't have FiOS TV.  Nor do I intend to leave DirecTV to go to FiOS TV..

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can. MoCA WAN won't be used. Only the MoCA LAN will be used to supply the Set Top Boxes with data. That's how the 150Mbps and 300Mbps tiers work anyways.

@weedeater wrote:

0 Likes