Problems with FIOS with ActionTec MI424WR
dwightk

I have had FIOS for a couple of months and am having major problems with the internet and the actiontec MI424WR Router:

1.    I cannot get port forwarding to work.  I have setup several previous routers to do port forwarding to my Windows web server, never had a problem.  Nothing I try on the Actiontec works, all incoming requests are rejected.  Checked Dns, server, everything.
  2.    Wireless works well at first, then slowlly degrades until after a week or so the signal is so weak that wifi traffic slows to a crawl.  Turning off the router and turning it back on fixes this problem.
  3.    Wired Ethernet traffic becomes flaky.  browsing works for a while, then gets flaky, IE and chrome both report that they can't reach web sites, but other apps can still get to internet.  closing browser does not fix issue, rebooting machine does.

This is the most problematic router I have ever seen. 

Is there a different brand of router from one of the more respected router compnaies, like Dlink, linksys, or netgear?

DK

0 Likes
Re: Problems with FIOS with ActionTec MI424WR
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Verizon only has the actiontec and the westell routers. For all intents and purposes they are the same router as they use identical software.

There are many ways you can use a router of your own choice. But how you do this depends on the type of internet connection you have. (Ethernet or Coax) Also it depends on if you have the Fios tv service or not.

I also see by your location that you are in Washington so you are about to be completely switched to Frontier. I think I read that Frontier takes over total control of your area in March. What they will have and use is still unknown. They may continue using the same equipment that Verizon has used or they may use something different. Time will tell.

If you post your current setup then we can get an idea of where to direct you for using 3rd party equipment.

0 Likes
Re: Problems with FIOS with ActionTec MI424WR
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dwightk wrote:

I have had FIOS for a couple of months and am having major problems with the internet and the actiontec MI424WR Router:

1.    I cannot get port forwarding to work.  I have setup several previous routers to do port forwarding to my Windows web server, never had a problem.  Nothing I try on the Actiontec works, all incoming requests are rejected.  Checked Dns, server, everything.

DK

Port forwarding is a little odd the way it's setup.  Took me a couple of days to work it and then it was only by looking at one of the canned protocolsand then emulating it for what I wanted that I made it work.

For example, if you go into port forwarding and select New Entry and under Protocol select FTP it will display the canned setting for port forwarding to an internal FTP server, all you need to do is add the internal IP address of the local host that has the server.  The confusing thing is that what you see for FTP is TCPany -> 21 whereas I expected it to be TCP21 -> 21.  Means that when you set up your forwarding you typically would be selecting protocol User defined and under that protocol TCP (or whichever you want) the leave source port at ANY and change destination port to Single or Range and enter the value.  Then save it

Your other questions appear to say that your router maybe not working correctly.

0 Likes