Problems with Fios and video games.
Dissonance
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I switched from Time Warner Cable to Fios last month and I've been having problems with my internet going down on ALL computers whenever ONE of them plays a game online.  I know it sounds strange, but as far as we can tell, it's only caused by video games.  Basically, whenever a game such as Counter-Strike is started, the internet will go down on every computer for about 5 minutes.

I called tech support and they had me unplug the Actiontec router and plug the cable directly into my computer.  When we tried Counter Strike again it worked with no problems.  The guy said the problem is a known bug with the router they gave me, but since the TV service needs the router, I can't use my old router that works fine!  I switched to Fios and waited through the 6 hour install because I thought it was supposed to be faster, but it never works! 

I don't want to pay the termination fee to cancel, but I need my internet to work.  Anybody have any ideas??

0 Likes
Re: Problems with Fios and video games.
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

There are different router options available, that you may want to try. Here are some FAQ's on the options;

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077

0 Likes
Re: Problems with Fios and video games.
Dissonance
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I guess this is a well known problem then.  I followed the instructions from that site and used my own router with the Verizon router plugged in.  The internet worked for the computers, but when I tried showtime on demand it was a no-go.  It looks like alot of people had success with this so I'll try again when I get back from work later today.  Thanks for the help.

It's really sad that Verizon makes us go through all this hassle just go get a working internet connection.  My friend was going to switch when I showed him how many more HD channels I had now, but when I told him about the internet problems he changed his mind.  I would have waited too if I knew they still had bugs.

0 Likes