Problems with Verizon FIOS Internal Router for Ooma Customers
sakjas

Verizon Tech Support:

Please see the link below...there are SEVERAL Verizon FIOS customers who can't use their Ooma VoIP because of this problem with a Verizon Internal Router

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17104

Can you please give this immediate attention and fix this problem?

Thank You

0 Likes
Re: Problems with Verizon FIOS Internal Router for Ooma Customers
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually notning shown in the thread pointed to seems to imply a Verizon problem.  Not that it might not be their problem., but it looks like a bigger problem after it leaves Verizon servers.

0 Likes
ilyam

The problem is at 157.130.195.90

This is a Verizon's router

IP Address157.130.195.0
Host157.130.195.0
LocationUS US, United States
CityFremont, CA 94536
OrganizationVerizon Business
ISPVerizon Business

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nothing shows that as particular a problem.  It does look like it is searching for a route to ooma.  Note it looks to me as if it tried two different gateways from Verizon to networks that talk to OOMA.  I hint that something is wrong elsewhere.

NOTE PING TESTS to these servers mean nothing, they are set to give the lowest priority to pings, and so if busy and you don't set the timeout high you will often see dropped packets.

0 Likes
orange_n_black

Let me also throw my hat in the ring of Verizon FIOS customers who can not use their ooma device.  I can't definitively say it is Verizon, although that would be my guess.  Plenty of other people have tested their ooma devices on friend's cable provider's and they are not having the problem.  Only FIOS users are having the issue.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't specifically see it but it may be trying different routes because of peering problems between verizon and whatever ISP serves OOMA.  Their are lots of reports of some peering disputes between the various companies.

And yet I know one OOMA user in NY who says he hasn't seen any problems.  Still it could be regional.  I think i've seen verizon servers with 157.x.x.x listed in other peering disputes.  Not sure which area of the country they are in.  California?

0 Likes
ilyam
Fair enough. Let's say its a peering problem between Verizon and other ISP. Do you believe Verizon can say "not our problem, don't care"? What should Verizon's customers do now? Call "the owner of the Internet" and complain? A responsible company who cares will make sure the service it provides is working. Take any utility company - would they tell you to call a company who's driver hit an electric pole and now you don't have lights, or will take an ownership?

These blazing speeds Speedtest.net shows us are irrelevant. What is important in this case is http://linetest.ooma.com results. And these are dismal because of alter.net issue, which is owned by (guess who) Verizon.

It puzzles me how the corporate mentality of "don't know, don't care, can I help you with anything else" does not bother anyone there. One of the most technologically advanced carriers and the most hated one. Inefficient and evil, like a Post Office with tanks (not mine).
0 Likes
dpark1113

This is definelty Verizon FiOS issue.  This happened after court overturned Net Neutrality. 

And I proved by using VPN, when I connect via VPN I have no issue with Ooma nor Netflix.

Without VPN, quality of Ooma and Netflix gets downgraded. 

0 Likes
orange_n_black

I have not been able to try my phone yet, howver it looks like the problem has been resolved, and it may have been another ISP:

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17104&start=120

0 Likes
ilyam
It was not another ISP, it was alter.net, former MCI, now part of Verizon Business
0 Likes