Problems with Verizon Router - ActionTec M1424-WR when viewing Real Player Media Videos Online
umesh1989

I used to have Comcast High Speed Internet but wanting bigger/larger bandwidth, I had a standard Verizon FIOS connection setup in the middle of September 2009 so I could have Internet+TV+Phone with Verizon. Ever since then, I was unable to view real player embedded videos on Kaplan.edu website (an online school). I could go to other sites such as video.google.com or www.youtube.com and play embedded videos, but not at certain websites such as kaplan.edu (I could log into the kaplan domain fine, but when I clicked on a video link, the Real Player starts but nothing happens -- no audio or video). 

- I though it might be a problem with my Norton 360 AV, and so I uninstalled it. That didn't solve the problem. Smiley Mad

- I adjusted the Internet Explorer 8.0 "Internet Options -> Trusted Sites" settings. No Luck. Smiley Sad

- I changed the Firewall settings and port forwarding settings of the ActionTec M1424-WR router by going to 192.168.1.1. Still nothing. Man Mad

Finally I had Verizon come over and create an Ethernet connection for my home site. i.e. They ran an ethernet cable from the outside box to my computer room wall. Then via a RJ-45 connector cable, I connected the ethernet wall socket to the back of my PC, direcly bypassing the ActionTech router; the problem went away. That showed me that there was some incompatibility between the "means for delivering video content from kaplan.edu" and the ActionTec M1424-WR router.

So I went and bought a Linksys WRT160N router. I piggy backed the ActionTech router to the Linksys WRT160N router (so that the kaplan.edu domain doesn't see or communicate with the ActionTec M1424-WR router)  and now everything works great. Man Very Happy

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Problems with Verizon Router - ActionTec M1424-WR when viewing Real Player Media Videos Online
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is a known issue, and sad but true they have fixed it yet.

Small/Tiny NAT Table of that Verizon provided ActionTec router..

#1 http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

#2 And OR

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Title/Location: All DSLR (.dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

^^
0 Likes
Re: Problems with Verizon Router - ActionTec M1424-WR when viewing Real Player Media Videos Online
mrmatt

I, too, am having this same issue.  I had Fios installed last week Friday 9-18-09.  Since then I have been unable to view streaming windows media videos thru Northern Virginia Community College's website.  I have to view these videos as they are required for an online course I am taking.  I narrowed the issue down to the router, because when I take my laptop to a friend's house who still has Comcast for internet, the videos play fine.  I tried port forwarding, setting up my IMac as DMZ, and nothing works.  I am at my wits end!!  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Here are some old thread I found that may help.

This thread talks about firewall setting, and the next thread talks about opening ports. No real solutions yet? No pun intended. Perhaps if you do put the PC in the DMZ or lower the firwall settings, and then run netstat from a command prompt when real player is working, you may find out what ports need to be open.

Justin pointed out in this thread that the firwall set to high duplicated the issue. Check your firewall settings as pointed out. Earlier in this thread. Read the thread below if you like.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/FIOS-Unable-to-access-web-sites-with-Realplayer/m-p/33617#...

http://real.lithium.com/real/board/message?board.i

d=realplayer&thread.id=29071

0 Likes
mrmatt

Prisaz,

I appreciate the attempt at help, but unfortunately both of the threads terminate without a real solution to the matter.  The problem obviously exists, just is not widespread enough for Verizon and/or Actiontec to take any action on the matter.  In the meantime, I have to go Starbucks or the library to watch my stinking videos for school.  What a drag!!  The solution would be to figure out what ports exactly need to be opened, but I simply do not have the expertise to figure that out.  I asked the IT department at school, and they couldn't help me either.  I'm hoping that one day soon someone that has the solution will come on here and offer it.  Other than this, FIOS is great.  Their HD content is amazing, the DVR rocks, especially compared to Comcast, and the speeds are lightning fast!!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@mrmatt wrote:

Prisaz,

I appreciate the attempt at help, but unfortunately both of the threads terminate without a real solution to the matter.  The problem obviously exists, just is not widespread enough for Verizon and/or Actiontec to take any action on the matter.  In the meantime, I have to go Starbucks or the library to watch my stinking videos for school.  What a drag!!  The solution would be to figure out what ports exactly need to be opened, but I simply do not have the expertise to figure that out.  I asked the IT department at school, and they couldn't help me either.  I'm hoping that one day soon someone that has the solution will come on here and offer it.  Other than this, FIOS is great.  Their HD content is amazing, the DVR rocks, especially compared to Comcast, and the speeds are lightning fast!!

Yes I have been very pleased with my FIOS for the last 5 years, and TV for a few. Have you tried to log into the router and lower the firewall settings to low or off? Just to see if it would work, and then put it back. Are there any troublesome videos that are not password protected where you could post a link? I would like to try and figure this one out. One loves a challange. Perhaps we could figure out what port needs to be open. I seem to remember something about this a while back, and it would be interesting to figure out and pass on to others.

Now this is strange. I just downloaded the latest real player and have been viewing videos from Kaplin's web site no matter how high I set my security settings on the Actiontec Router. Set to Maximum and to block IP fragments and the videos came through even embedded or when DL and played through real player. What OS are you running?

I have heard issues with certain things being block if you have an IP address that was previously outside the US. But this is strange.

0 Likes
mrmatt

The primary computer I use is an Apple IMac running Mac OSX ver 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard), however I have a PC laptop currently running Windows Vista.  The videos do not work on the Mac or the PC. (but did work fine on both prior to getting FIOS) Here is a link to NOVA's VOD content:

http://www.nvcc.edu/tvcenter/vod/Main.aspx?rand=95806

My course specifically is EGR 115, but I am unable to view any video on that site.  I really appreciate the help on this!!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

mrmatt,

Thanks for providing the link, makes it much easier to try things out.

I don't know what your specific problem is, but I can tell you that I have an Actiontec router and can access the videos at the link you provided just fine.

My environment is Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.5.3 with the Windows Media Player 10.00.00.4074, Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D. I have not done any special configuration on the router other than some wireless settings, but the PC I am using is wired.

You said you have definitely identified the router as the problem, but I don't think so, just taking the PC to another house and connecting there using another ISP just proves that it will work there, it does not prove that the Actiontec router is the problem. To do that, you really need to connect your PC directly to the ONT and if it works then I would agree it is the router. Of course you probably have the problem that your router is connected to the ONT using coax, thus you cannot do what I suggested. Now if you do happen to have an ethernet connection between the ONT and the router, then doing what I suggest should prove whether the router is in fact the problem or not.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, wish I did. But most definitely it is possible to view those videos at the NVCC site using a PC attached to the Actiontec router.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
mrmatt
I am not at home right now, so I cannot give you the exact version of Internet Explorer I am running, but as I said my primary computer is a Maciintosh so I am running Safari for my browser. You are correct in that my router is hooked up with a coax cable, so I cannot hook to ethernet direct;y in order to try and bypass the router. The only difference I can tell is that my Actiontec Router is the revision E, and yours is D. 😞
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@mrmatt wrote:
I am not at home right now, so I cannot give you the exact version of Internet Explorer I am running, but as I said my primary computer is a Maciintosh so I am running Safari for my browser. You are correct in that my router is hooked up with a coax cable, so I cannot hook to ethernet direct;y in order to try and bypass the router. The only difference I can tell is that my Actiontec Router is the revision E, and yours is D. 😞

I don't have a Mac and never will, I am retired from IBM Smiley Very Happy so there is no way for me to test with that.

Going a little further however, I have accessed the community college site using IE 7 and Safari (under Windows of course) in addition to Firefox, and all work just fine. I have looked at probably 8 to 10 of the videos.

The Actiontec Rev E is of course newer than the Rev. D that I have, but I have never heard of anything new in that version that would cause the problem you are seeing. But who knows???? I sure don't.

I suppose if you want to pursue really determining if it is your router or not, you could try two things:

1) Call the Verizon FSC and ask them to change your ONT so that it uses ethernet rather than coax for the internet traffic. Once that was done you could then hook your PC or Mac to the ONT directly using cat 5 or 6 cable and see whether it works or not. If it does then it would defintely appear to be the router, if it doesn't it is something else. Once you finish the test you could call and ask for them to set it back to coax (I would hope they would not get too upset). Or maybe one of the Verizon techs here on the forum could work out a time with you to do that?

2) Call Verizon and request a replacement router.

I wonder, can you stream videos from any site, or just not from the community college? Have you tried other sites, and if so, what was the result?

Also, did you do any customization of the router? If so, can you use the reset button on the router to go back to the factory defaults and try it that way?

There has to be a solution, we just need to find it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes