Programs loaded at FIOS install
potsee3
Enthusiast - Level 1

The install went great.  However, once the tech left I noticed four new Icons on my desktop all related to VZ FIOS (download manager, some service support program (updates program), VZ in home agent and help and support.  Also, the home pages for internet explorer were all changed to VZ home pages.  

I can tell you I did not appreciate these programs loaded without my consent or knowledge.  The tech said she was "setting up" my computer to access the internet, not changing settings and adding programs.  

Then there is the internet security.  She set the router to WEP.  I asked to change it to a better security like WPA.  She had no idea what I was talking about.  Sad.

The previously mentioned added programs seemed to slow my Dell XPS M1210 laptop down significantly.  Although VZ would likely claim it wasn't their programs slowing my machine down, but since I removed two of the processing speed hogs they installed (security manager software and download manager), I am back in business.  I also noticed a lot of other forums discussing these programs and how their computers seem to act strangely with these new programs installed.  

I am sure there is some fine print in the 10,000 word user agreement I electronically signed when I ordered the equipment install that states I allowed them to install all of this crap, but I assure you I don't need the "extras" or the other crap associated.  

Hopefully the cable/ internet/ phone companies will follow suit with the credit card companies and make their user agreements easier to understand.

Thanks for listening,

Eric   -

Re: Programs loaded at FIOS install
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hi Eric....

Sounds like you know more about some aspects of the situation than the installer did.  Sad.

You can safely uninstall anything and everything she installed on your machine.   If you want to use Home Agent, or anything else in the future, you can always reinstall.   As for WPA/WPA2 vs. WEP, it sounds like you know how to change that and probably already have.  If not, just ask.  It's easy.

When all is said and done, FiOS is a very good service and, IMHO, worth the little hassle you had.

--g4pilut

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@potsee3 wrote:

The install went great.  However, once the tech left I noticed four new Icons on my desktop all related to VZ FIOS (download manager, some service support program (updates program), VZ in home agent and help and support.  Also, the home pages for internet explorer were all changed to VZ home pages.  

I can tell you I did not appreciate these programs loaded without my consent or knowledge.  The tech said she was "setting up" my computer to access the internet, not changing settings and adding programs.  

Then there is the internet security.  She set the router to WEP.  I asked to change it to a better security like WPA.  She had no idea what I was talking about.  Sad.

The previously mentioned added programs seemed to slow my Dell XPS M1210 laptop down significantly.  Although VZ would likely claim it wasn't their programs slowing my machine down, but since I removed two of the processing speed hogs they installed (security manager software and download manager), I am back in business.  I also noticed a lot of other forums discussing these programs and how their computers seem to act strangely with these new programs installed.  

I am sure there is some fine print in the 10,000 word user agreement I electronically signed when I ordered the equipment install that states I allowed them to install all of this crap, but I assure you I don't need the "extras" or the other crap associated.  

Hopefully the cable/ internet/ phone companies will follow suit with the credit card companies and make their user agreements easier to understand.

Thanks for listening,

Eric   -

Well the installer didnt set up wep on the router. The routers come default with wep. The installers are just that, installers. They are not computer people. They are not supposed to know anything about the security. If you want different security that is up to you. Besides the idea that WPA is more secure that WEP is an outdated Idea. The tools that break WEP will break WPA and WPA2 just as easily. WPA2 is supposedly the most secure but it only takes about 3 extra minutes to break it than it does to break WEP. Its really easy to do. If you want secure, dont use wireless LOL.

All the extra programs are not required for it to work. Just go to add/remove programs and you can uninstall them. Yes the fine print did allow them to install the "optional" programs, but the nice thing is that they are easy to get rid of. The Verizon installer just took the computer to the activation web site and let it run. It installed everything. Even if you call tech support now, they are really pushing to have the customer install that In Home Agent program. They have some ridiculous idea that if the customer installs those programs it will let the customers fix their own issues and not call in to speak to an agent. This is supposed to reduce the wait times without Verizon having to higher more people.

As for making the agreements easier to read... Not a chance. Not unless some law is passed to force them to do so. Thats what it took with the CC's and banks.

omicronomicron
Enthusiast - Level 1

gotta say, it's fascinating how the default position most people take is to be negative/demeaning to a service, etc.

yes, some of the programs installed may not be wanted, and can easily be removed (especially by those who have the knowledge to complain about them in the first place).

but honestly, having something like the in home agent available is simply another option to be able to fix the problem. if you don't want it, get rid of it (i did) but it's cool they offer options.

i suppose if they didn't offer an automated program to help, then everyone would be complaining that they are 'so backward' or similar. 

it's really kinda sad, actually, that the knee jerk response is to belittle a company for trying to improve service by adding extras.

(and for the record, i have removed the added programs such as mccitrayapp and in home agent, as i didn't find them useful for me, but at least i can re-install if i feel like it, without complaint.)

just sayin.

tns
Master - Level 2

Just go to uninstall and make sure you get rid of all the crap installed.  I refuse to let them touch my computer.  I have too many supposed techs (verizon and others screw things up).  To give you a non-verizon example, a Norton tech to fix a problem with Norton Utilities failing when DEP is enabled for all programs, run a little known command wish caused DEP not to run for any program and the option to disappear from the menu.  Had to do some searching to find out what the command did, and how to reverse it.  Then reopened support request and finally got to a actual developer who was working on a fix, which he sent me to test for him.  Last time I let a support person touch my machine.  At most I let them observe as I try what they suggest, making sure I know how to reverse the action if it does something I am not familiar with.

Start on this page http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/networking/setup/security/125521....# for instructions on how to switch over to wpa2.