Public wifi query, fios with actiontec m1424wr
citynet

anyone have an idea about a wireless unit to use as a public wifi, simple, cheap, usable.....the non-profit I work for is insisting on one, me, I'd rather not....but....whatever they want

ken

0 Likes
Re: Public wifi query, fios with actiontec m1424wr
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

Are you asking about setting up a guest network or a public Hotspot?

Both might work, but each has its advantages/ disadvantages.

0 Likes
citynet

public......no password or user name....for visitors, sales reps, sometimes general meetings with outsiders...actually, i was going to have it up and unning only during normal business hours

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@citynet wrote:

anyone have an idea about a wireless unit to use as a public wifi, simple, cheap, usable.....the non-profit I work for is insisting on one, me, I'd rather not....but....whatever they want

ken

Probably any modern WIfi router works.  Some are probably more designed for offering such services.  The actiontec, although useable is not a good choice.  You probably want one that offers you to offer a guest network and isolation for each user.

You need to consider how many connection you want to allow, and whether you want to support wireless-n or wireless-ac(the latest protocol) to your users.

You say you want no password, but you may still want to offer a secure connection, i.e. one with a simple password you let everyone know, and using WPA2 security.

0 Likes