QUANTUM GATEWAY and NO LAN
riroadmap

Hello: I upgraded to 75/75 mbs internet and was shipped a Quantum Gateway to repalce my old Actiontec router. The IP was released and the gateway was installed but there was no LAN connectivity. One computer was changed from LAN to Wifi connectivity and the WiFi password was entered. The computer was fine but the problem with the LAN could not be solved even after hours on the phone with Verizon.  I was told it was likely necessary to upgrade my LAN cables since they were not designed to provide 1 GBS data speeds. 

Well some of my LAN devices do not support 1GBS data speeds with the older Windows 7 PC and printer have 100 mbs NICs. The smart TV may have that limitation. Now I can buy the cable issue but if that be the case I assume the 100MBS NIC's may also restrict LAN connectivity.  Now to switch everything over to WiFi would bottleneck the system since there are 5 WiFi cameras, 2 Echo Dots, 2 Firesticks and the HDTV would have to be replaced.

The resolution was to replace the Actiontec which had Wifi that failed once every 24 hours because everything worked fine with that router.

Does this sound right. A point to make is this is the 2nd Gateway exhibiting the same problem. What would be nice is if Verizon asked the question about compatable LAN cabeling and devices that might not work with the LAN portion of the gateway.

0 Likes
Re: QUANTUM GATEWAY and NO LAN
Varg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Were you able to resolve this problem? Sounds like a bad gateway. If all lan gear worked prior to Quantum shift, they should work after the change over. Do update.

Re: QUANTUM GATEWAY and NO LAN
jonjones1
Legend

@riroadmap wrote:

Hello: I upgraded to 75/75 mbs internet and was shipped a Quantum Gateway to repalce my old Actiontec router. The IP was released and the gateway was installed but there was no LAN connectivity. One computer was changed from LAN to Wifi connectivity and the WiFi password was entered. The computer was fine but the problem with the LAN could not be solved even after hours on the phone with Verizon.  I was told it was likely necessary to upgrade my LAN cables since they were not designed to provide 1 GBS data speeds. 

Well some of my LAN devices do not support 1GBS data speeds with the older Windows 7 PC and printer have 100 mbs NICs. The smart TV may have that limitation. Now I can buy the cable issue but if that be the case I assume the 100MBS NIC's may also restrict LAN connectivity.  Now to switch everything over to WiFi would bottleneck the system since there are 5 WiFi cameras, 2 Echo Dots, 2 Firesticks and the HDTV would have to be replaced.

The resolution was to replace the Actiontec which had Wifi that failed once every 24 hours because everything worked fine with that router.

Does this sound right. A point to make is this is the 2nd Gateway exhibiting the same problem. What would be nice is if Verizon asked the question about compatable LAN cabeling and devices that might not work with the LAN portion of the gateway.

This should make no difference.

a direct connect should fire right up.

its nice to have wifi but the speeds in most instances will drop as you add more wifi connections.

i would have Verizon send another Quantum G1100 since this one is defective.  You can try to hit the little reset button on the router, wait 10 minutes and see if it fires up correctly. I would then attach each device one at a time to see if it is functioning as it should. Continue this for all wired connections.

then start getting connections via wifi for the devices you used wifi for in the older router. Although 5G is faster it is not a band that is far reaching. The 2.4 Band penetrates farther use that if you can. 

If all else fails have them send a tech out with the new Quantum and have them set it up.