Quantum G1100 Router WiFi Turning Off
thomp66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the past several weeks, my WiFi in my home has been turning off on its own. I usually will notice because either my phone will show that it using a 4G connection in the house or one of my wifi enabled devices (tv, ps4, etc) will notify me that I have no internet connection. The router itself is still connected to the internet and has the two white lights on the front. I can also still use my PC to access the internet since it is connected via Ethernet to the router. This is a replacement router for my first G1100 and I'm wondering if this one may be going wacky on me as well. I always have to unplug it/plug it back in and wait for it to reboot then everythying works fine. At least for a few days or a week or so and then it usually does it again. I have attempted to call Verizon but due to an 45 minute wait I requested a call back. It has been 2 hours now and they have not called me back. This is not surprising. Fios customer service is turning into complete garbage lately. They act as if they have no interest in speaking directly with their customers and have turned into a fix it yourself company/service. Anyone else have this issue with their G1100 router and wifi?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum G1100 Router WiFi Turning Off
jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately these routers are known to have WiFi issues just google it and read for yourself.

the best fix is to use a customer owned router in access point mode (ont, ethernet to Quantum wan port, ethernet from Quantum lan port to wan port on your own router).

then go into the Quantum router and shut off the WiFi for 2.4, 5 & guest networks.

use the Quantum only for dhcp and let your own router assign the IP address and WiFi for your devices.

you will be glad you did. 

Or call Verizon and wait for a rep and get yet another router from them.

if you buy your own router make sure it’s tri band and is a AC router. Higher end ones cost a lot of money but it is worth it many times for not having your connections drop off.

the Choice is yours.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Unfortunately these routers are known to have WiFi issues just google it and read for yourself.

the best fix is to use a customer owned router in access point mode (ont, ethernet to Quantum wan port, ethernet from Quantum lan port to wan port on your own router).

then go into the Quantum router and shut off the WiFi for 2.4, 5 & guest networks.

use the Quantum only for dhcp and let your own router assign the IP address and WiFi for your devices.

you will be glad you did. 

Or call Verizon and wait for a rep and get yet another router from them.

if you buy your own router make sure it’s tri band and is a AC router. Higher end ones cost a lot of money but it is worth it many times for not having your connections drop off.

the Choice is yours.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I disagree.

I have been a Verizon customer for 10 years.

Have had 3 diffeent model of routers over the years.

Never had an issue with any one of them.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi thomp66,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

I disagree.

I have been a Verizon customer for 10 years.

Have had 3 diffeent model of routers over the years.

Never had an issue with any one of them.

You can disagree all you like. The numbers of fails outweigh your luck with the router.

the WiFi on the Quantum G1100 is known for its quirky behavior.

but I can say I never had any issues with Netgear routers but loads of people can disagree on their use.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There will always be more reprots of issues than not.

No one will report my router is fine.

Given the large number of them out there, I would bet the issue rate is low.

Your post makes it seem as though the router is full of issues.

As a non user, you are relegated to what you see.

I am reporting actual user experience.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

There will always be more reprots of issues than not.

No one will report my router is fine.

Given the large number of them out there, I would bet the issue rate is low.

Your post makes it seem as though the router is full of issues.

As a non user, you are relegated to what you see.

I am reporting actual user experience.

My router is fine. However it’s because I know how to use it. I know that there is a fail rate for most electronic devices. 

And of course a person would not be asking for assistance if the Verizon Quantum was functional. That makes sense.

I have a few friends in my neighborhood that also have no issues with the Fios router. I have a neighbor about 4 blocks over that had constant issues with WiFi only. I had him get a Netgear router and I set it for access point mode and turned off the WiFi on the Quantum he has no more WiFi issues. Better speeds and further distances.

The Quantum is not a problem as far as getting the listed speeds, it is the WiFi that is mostly complained about. But that would be like saying “my boat looks great, it just won’t float because of the huge hole in it” 😀

0 Likes
thomp66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks JonJones. I just saw these replies today but I actually did what you suggested and everything is running much better now. I picked up a NetGear Nighthawk X4S and it's working great. I also get a much better overall wireless singal in my home, Thanks for the feedback! 

0 Likes
thomp66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Plus...I'd like to mention that this is the 3rd Fios G1100 router I've had. I just returned the defective one today at my local Fios store. The new one seems to be working ok for now and much more responsive. However, I'm not using the WiFi....

0 Likes