Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

At least in your case you now have it working. The Quantum is junk in my personal opinion.

a high end router is the way to go.

0 Likes
Rilo42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it's time they roll out somthing a little more robust, thats for sure.  Not really up for the task of thier faster speed packages.  5ghz really has to work in these circumstances or its just money down the drain.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Rilo42 wrote:

I think it's time they roll out somthing a little more robust, thats for sure.  Not really up for the task of thier faster speed packages.  5ghz really has to work in these circumstances or its just money down the drain.  

The problem being Verizon wants to keep the costs down and the profits per customer up.  If Verizon used a high end router it would need to redo contracts with vendors and their support staff would need better updated training. 5ghz is not strong signal, penetration is not as great, and many devices and older computers cannot connect to it.

0 Likes
RichLux
Contributor - Level 1

@jonjones wrote:

At least in your case you now have it working. The Quantum is junk in my personal opinion.

I agree that the Quantum router isn't great and I'm going to pick up a Netgear or Linksys this week, but the G1100 is an AC1750 Router and I never had issues getting a connection anywhere in my home (even the far corners) until 2 weeks ago.

Rich

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@rich_lux wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

I agree that the Quantum router isn't great and I'm going to pick up a Netgear or Linksys this week, but the G1100 is an AC1750 Router and I never had issues getting a connection anywhere in my home (even the far corners) until 2 weeks ago.

Rich

They do crap out my friend. It was the time for it to go to router heaven 😀

0 Likes
RichLux
Contributor - Level 1

I wish it were that simple, but the router didn't crap out.  The brand new replacement I just got has the exact same issue.  Everyone having the problem says it started about 2 weeks ago.  There's no way this is a coincidence.  Something must have changed in the firmware recently.

Rich

Rilo42
Enthusiast - Level 2

The fact that numerous people have had this issue spring up on them in the last two weeks does seem like something else is going on here.   I reached out to Verizon and they advised me to do a factory reset which didn't work.  My G1100 is still under warranty but it seems that does nothing to solve the problem.  So I won't persue that. 

I am going to reach out to them again and make mention that there are others having simmilar issues on these forums in the same timeframe.  Verizon won't move on this issue until enough people complain and they recognize the issue as legitimate and not a one off problem.  The only way to push this along is to call them.  Stregnth in numbers.  

Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally found a thread on this!  Me too! Me too! 

It was fine for a year, then the 5ghz kept kicking everything off and disallowing re-connections until it was rebooted or I changed the channel. I got finally got a replacement router under warranty, but the same thing is happening.  I've tried:

Reboots

Reseting to defaults 

New network name

All channels and running a wifi analyzer for the best one 

Disabling wmm

Replacing the router 

Rebooting the ont 

But honestly it can't be any of these things because it was working fine, so what changed?  I don't want to buy a new router 

I bought this one already! 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@rich_lux wrote:

I wish it were that simple, but the router didn't crap out.  The brand new replacement I just got has the exact same issue.  Everyone having the problem says it started about 2 weeks ago.  There's no way this is a coincidence.  Something must have changed in the firmware recently.

Rich

I will admit having numerous Gateway Routers have the same issue is far fetched.

and to be honest the other poster saying others are having the issue in large numbers? I would highly doubt unless they just did not post here or other places on the net, let alone called Fios about it. Say 750,000 use the Greenwave router (Quantum Gateway Router G1100) 10,000 or 20,000 have the issue they don’t consider that a major issue. But they may have more of those routers over what I use for an example.

however I find merit in your analogy about any updates to the router, prior to its issues.

but it is known that Verizon Fios has not pushed out a firmware update past what was posted on the forum.

I still firmly believe that it may simply be a faulty 5 Ghz radio transmitter design flaw in the routers. Couple that the Quantum does not use beamforming antennas like high end routers this may be the problem.

I have read over at dsl reports that Verizon has a new Fios Quantum Gateway Router and a combination ONT/router coming out to the customers. No I don’t know when but the specs and the router number are at that website. With photos.

you could simply use the google search to find the new one.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend
0 Likes