Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

SOLVED
Reply
jonjones
Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Posts: 5,322
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 41 of 418
(2,300 Views)

@chubrock07 wrote:

At the risk of sounding pesimistic, when will there be enough people who tack on with "me too" to merit a response on the matter? 

Just curious as the only thing to do now seems to be wait for VZ to fix the issue. But are we even sure they are aware that there is an issue?


See the post above yours. Evidently Verizon is aware of it. Don’t see how they couldn’t with complaints here and on other sites. Throw in phone calls, twitter feed and they know.

However this is a customer helping customer forum. Very doubtful any mucky muck high in tech support will ever see this, nor will a customer representative be of much help.

I know for many the prospect of buying your own routers like Netgear or Asus or TP Link Archers is beyond your wanting to spend that higher money. I can understand that.

but if your WiFi Service is being interrupted 5 Ghz you can still get WiFi with longer distance under 2.4 Ghz until there is a solution.

 

stever1388
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-11-2017

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 42 of 418
(2,270 Views)

I've been messing around with different settings to try and fix it, and I enable SSID broadcast (just for the 5g) and it worked for over a day (longer than it had previously). I'm turning the SSID broadcast back off to see if it drops again. Not sure how many people run with broadcast turned off, but that could be the issue and turning it back on may fix the issue. If it drops out again I'll turn broadcast back on and let it run for a few days to really know for sure. I'll post back tomorrow and then again in a few days.

chubrock07
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-12-2016

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 43 of 418
(2,248 Views)

Yea, the 2.4 is working which is allowing me to get my daily tasks done.

 

I'm holding off on purchasing my own router because, well i'm paying Verizon monthly for theirs! Its a matter of principle (and my own stubborness I suppose). I mean, lets say this outage continues for another month or so. Is it outlandish for those of us affected to ask for a credit to our accounts? We are paying for services that are not being rendered. /rant.

 

That said, you are correct this is a customer-customer help forum and you've certainly done your part to offer solutions and alternatives, thank you sir.

 

I wait anxiously with the rest of you all for better news of a return to service!

rich_lux
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎02-15-2012

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 44 of 418
(2,239 Views)

@stever1388 wrote:

...  If it drops out again I'll turn broadcast back on and let it run for a few days to really know for sure. I'll post back tomorrow and then again in a few days.


I've tried changing just about every setting including broadcast and it doesn't solve the problem.

 

It's really baffling to me. If there's been no firmware update, then the only other thing I can think of is a bug in the code (or something put there on purpose) that was triggered by a specific date. This just seems highly unlikely.

 

Rich 

jonjones
Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Posts: 5,322
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 45 of 418
(2,198 Views)

@chubrock07 wrote:

Yea, the 2.4 is working which is allowing me to get my daily tasks done.

 

I'm holding off on purchasing my own router because, well i'm paying Verizon monthly for theirs! Its a matter of principle (and my own stubborness I suppose). I mean, lets say this outage continues for another month or so. Is it outlandish for those of us affected to ask for a credit to our accounts? We are paying for services that are not being rendered. /rant.

 

That said, you are correct this is a customer-customer help forum and you've certainly done your part to offer solutions and alternatives, thank you sir.

 

I wait anxiously with the rest of you all for better news of a return to service!


Unfortunately they will not issue credit. Verizon only guaranteed speed from their servers to your home. They do not care about the WiFi speeds only the direct connects. The other issue of a bad code sounds plausible however if that was the situation then there would be a flood of complaints here and all over the net.

The other problem is maybe, just maybe certain routers actually crapped out. Maybe a certain manufacturer date. I noted on one of my laptops it gives a creation date in system properties, it maybe the Quantum Gateway Router is dying because it was made say for example June 2016, August 2017 etc. 

 

rich_lux
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎02-15-2012

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 46 of 418
(2,163 Views)

@jonjones wrote:

The other problem is maybe, just maybe certain routers actually crapped out. Maybe a certain manufacturer date. I noted on one of my laptops it gives a creation date in system properties, it maybe the Quantum Gateway Router is dying because it was made say for example June 2016, August 2017 etc. 

 


I don't think the manufacture date is an issue because many of us have gotten replacement routers that are years newer and still have the same problem.

Rich

 

jonjones
Platinum Contributor II
Platinum Contributor II
Posts: 5,322
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 47 of 418
(2,154 Views)

@rich_lux wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

The other problem is maybe, just maybe certain routers actually crapped out. Maybe a certain manufacturer date. I noted on one of my laptops it gives a creation date in system properties, it maybe the Quantum Gateway Router is dying because it was made say for example June 2016, August 2017 etc. 

 


I don't think the manufacture date is an issue because many of us have gotten replacement routers that are years newer and still have the same problem.

Rich

 


Actually you don’t think Verizon Fios has inventory made say last month, month beforehand? It is more than likely a gross manufacturer date for them. And as folks return them the units are refurbished. Unlike computers and tablets and cell phones which are made on certain months to bolster sales.

the replacement phones and tablets are normally refurbished but I don’t know about returned computers. 

Greenwave makes the Fios Quantum Gateway Router so I could not say for certain.

but, not every Quantum is broken as to the 5 Ghz radios dropping. Otherwise there would be 100’s of thousands or more complaints or returns.

i am still searching the net for another reason. 

 

opop
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-13-2017

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 48 of 418
(2,142 Views)

Just wondering about this, we all seem like power users, perhaps it's that we have Ethernet directly connected from ONT to router instead of the coxial setup the installation leaves?

rich_lux
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎02-15-2012

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 49 of 418
(2,133 Views)

@opop wrote:

Just wondering about this, we all seem like power users, perhaps it's that we have Ethernet directly connected from ONT to router instead of the coxial setup the installation leaves?


I'm using Coax, so that's not the issue.

Rich

Simbapenn
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎12-09-2017

Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections

Message 50 of 418
(2,120 Views)

I've been up for almost 2 days straight for the first time in a while.  I don't know why or what happened, but something is working again (waits for disconnect jinx) 

 

Settings:

 

2.4ghz channel 11

5GHz channel 149

 

WMM disabled on 5GHz

 

WPA2 security on both

SSIDs being broadcast

 

One other thing I did was move my router outside a cabinet I had it in.  It worked for over a year in there, and the 2nd one they sent was crapping out for a bit outside.  However, just pointing that out as a possibility, in case everyone is keeping theirs within a cabinet of some kind.  

 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title