Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
syardumi

This same exact issue has started happening for me starting earlier this week, except strangely enough, only for my Mac and iPad. My Android connects and stays connected fine; Chromecasts, Echo Dots, etc are all fine. To that end, I have extreme doubts it's the router finally eating it as it still delivers speeds over WiFi to other devices at each device's max speeds (I have gigabit connection). Also, no updates took place recently on my Apple products either (I manage updates like a hawk). The only thing I haven't accounted for is possible automatic firmware updates on the Verizon router. Does that still happen? 

-- EDIT --

I just read the page of replies before mine and saw this is a systemic issue somehow. I'll keep up with this thread and try some of the suggestions to see what works.

0 Likes
JP_05
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too have the same issue as described here and in other similar posts.  My router is 2 or 3 years old! So I am not sure age is the issue.  This issue has been happening over the last 2 or 3 weeks.   I don’t see region references - I am in Southern New Jersey.  It occurs on all of my 5k devices - SG Note5,  6s iPhone and 2 different iPads (pro & air).  This must be an issue that VZ can fix ....   hope to see something soon.  

This is a aggravating and it always seems to be later in the day.  I do not want to go through the issue of replacing the router. 

0 Likes
syardumi

@Simbapenn wrote:

Settings:

2.4ghz channel 11

5GHz channel 149

WMM disabled on 5GHz

WPA2 security on both

SSIDs being broadcast

I've tried these settings, and 5GHz WiFi seems to be working again (getting full device speed over WiFi). If I was a betting man, I'd be putting my money on faulty code in WMM implementation right about now.

0 Likes
chubrock07
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright I'll bite.

• I've changed 5G to ch. 149
  • I've unchecked the WMM (QoS)
  • 5G is broadcasting its SSID

The time is 1923 EST. I will update if/when the 5G network goes down again.

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm as curious as you are.  I could swear I had turned WMM off and got reboots in and out of the cabinet.  Now I'm almost 3 days with no kickoff.  I'm tempted to turn WMM on again or change the channel to see what it might have been, but I don't want to go back to the reboots.  This is definitely the longest I've held the 5GHz connection in weeks.  Not saying I won't get kicked soon, but I'll stay here and help solve this mystery.  

0 Likes
RichLux
Contributor - Level 1

Strangely, my 5ghz connections seem to be a little better also.  I've been connected for almost 24 hours, which is pretty good lately.  I'll wait a few more days to see what happens, but this is a good sign.

Rich

0 Likes
Bullet481
Enthusiast - Level 2

"ME TOO"

Same thing going on with my router.  Did a reset as Tech Support advised.  Did not fix it. Worked temporarily but now back to the same problem. I was told if the reset didn't fix it to call back they noted my account and will ship me a replacement. Glad i read replacements are solving it either.  Don't feel like going through that.  

My Setup:

Different SSID's for 2 ghz & 5 ghz (That way for years.)

Tried changing the 5ghz. channels

I do have a VZW network extender. 

Definitely feels like firmware?  Router worked flawless for years just up until a week ago. 

0 Likes
VZU

I have been having the same problem since the past 10 days.  Before that the router worked well.  No issues.  Then suddenly the 5G started dropping. The 2G connection stays ok.  Tried changing channels and no use.  Had to reset every day.  I have not added any new electronic device recently. So that is not the issue. 

Got a new router from Verizon as replacement 2 days back.  Guess what,  nothing changed with the new router ! The same issue of 5G dropping and needs reset.  I think this is something to with some software update that happened 10 days beck. 

0 Likes
bikerpilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly same issue here. Few things I noticed: new 5G wifi SSID from one of my neighbors and I have added a few Amazon Firesticks as well as Google Homes. Will try the suggested settings and see how that goes. 

0 Likes
Bullet481
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the record I've tried the last suggestion about disabling the 5 GHz Wireless QoS (WMM). Connection only lasted 8hrs before dropping connection again. 

0 Likes