Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
Bullet481
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well.... It's worse now.  Devices won't stay connected to 5ghz even after router reboot. Before at least I got a connection for a couple hrs by rebooting router.  Now devices won't even connect. 

0 Likes
RichLux
Contributor - Level 1

@Bullet481 wrote:

Well.... It's worse now.  Devices won't stay connected to 5ghz even after router reboot. Before at least I got a connection for a couple hrs by rebooting router.  Now devices won't even connect. 

Yup.  That was my experience also.  The more times I reset the router the worse it got until I couldn't get any connections.  That said, suddenly yesterday I was connected the entire day.  I'll see what happens when I get home tonight.

Rich

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry Bullet481.  That was the weird thing.  I swear I had all these settings and the booting was still happening, and then, like 4 days ago it just stopped.  I'm at a loss b/c someone posted that they're on the .10 firmware with Frontier while we're all likely on .12 so it's not even the firmware.  

It's quite the mystery.

0 Likes
Bullet481
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just wish Verizon would get involved.  It's not just one person experiencing this.  It happened for everyone all about the same time.  

0 Likes
Bmaore222
Enthusiast - Level 2

now my 5ghz band will not connect after a reboot or when I change the channel on the 5ghz band, and Verizon's Twitter support is a joke, I really need support from someone who is smarter than me, this **bleep** of a factory reset is so predictable from Verizon support

0 Likes
arb1986

Ergh so frustrating. Same thing happening here. 5g was disconnecting every hour up until two days ago. I switched to channel 36 and it seemed to get better. Today, it is back to disconnecting. I am calling Verizon tomorrow and just telling them that they can either find a fix for this or let me out of my contract for failure to provide quality service...

0 Likes
stever1388

Turning off the WMM seems to have worked for me - I've been connected for over a day now, the longest its been connected without a reset in a while.

0 Likes
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow...I am so happy I found this thread. I'm going to smash my router still, but I'm so happy I'm not going crazy.

I have gigabit internet with g1100 and the wcb6200 extender. All of my problems have been on the 5ghz. Regardless of what happens, the 2.4 has been flawless.

For the last month, the first thing I noticed was that SSID for the 5ghz on the EXTENDER kept resetting its self and changing its name. I thought it was the extender, so Verizon sent me a new one. A couple days later the problem started again. The fix was me logging into extender and fixing the 5ghz SSID, or resetting the extender and having it pick up the Gateways SSIDs naturally. But I was doing this a couple days.

After doing this for a couple weeks, I completely removed the extender from the home and reset my Gateway. All was good for 2 days until I woke up to find that none of my 5ghz devices were online.

Spoke to Verizon and they had me reset the router and the 5ghz worked for a day. Spoke to Verizon and they said my Chromecasts were creating a conflict on the 5ghz band , so I removed them and reset the router and I was good for a day. Spoke to Verizon and they said I had too many 5ghz devices (7 to be exact) so I removed everything but our two smart phones (S7 and V20) and it cut out again. Spoke to Verizon and they said it was the phones, reset my phone's (a real pain) and it was good for 2 days). Spoke to Verizon and they said it's the channel I'm using for my 5ghz (I was on 157). I switched to automatically channel selection. And the problem was fixed for a day. Switched to 165 and it was fixed for a days switched to 153 and it was fixed for a day.

SWITCHING 5ghz channels is the easiest fix. All the devices come back online for 24 hours without resetting the router or rebooting. But it's doesn't fix the underlying issue.

Verizon sent another Gateway. And would you believe that after 2 days, it all started again? What are the odds? Called Verizon and the last and final answer was that I should NOT change SSIDs and passwords on the router. That I should use the default settings. Oh..ok.

So here's my theory...sometime in the last month or so; maybe longer. Verizon did something to the firmware and that firmware is creating check-in or reset to the router at different times of the day that knocks the 5ghz antenna out. For every device in the house....Smartphones, Chromecast, FireTV, Amazon Echo, Nexus tables, it doesn't matter. 

Power cycling the 5ghz antenna fixes the issue. So changing channels, rebooting the router, or resetting the router (changing channels is easiest). But at some point the router will do it's same glitch that knocks out the 5ghz antenna.

I finally got one Verizon rep that said that they need to escalate this to the router manufacturer. But as always, this was the first they've heard of it and not enough people have been calling in.

In the meantime, all my devices are running on 2.4 and I went out and bought the Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 router and will stop using the the Gateway for WiFi  as soon as I install it. 

The fact that this thread is 7 pages long and Verizon hasn't chimed it just goes to show that their support is complete joke.

So keep calling it in and please tell me if someone figures out a fix.

I will disable WMM on the router tonight and try it again.

jimgerrr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same exact problem. It started on December 9th. It randomly drops every few hours until I pull the power on it. I contacted Verizon and they sent me another router, just for the same exact thing to happen an hour later. Support has been entirely useless, and tried to send me another router, not even listening to the fact the one I just received is brand new.

bikerpilot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried the WMM and channel change: no change. It worked but overnight the 5Ghz crapped out again..... very frustrating!