Re: Quantum G1100 Router suddenly not keeping 5ghz connections
jonjones1
Legend

@yosM45 wrote:

One of my neighbors has the same issue as us and is trying to get Verizon to acknowledge the issue so they can release them from the contract and they can switch to Xfinity.

Loss of WiFi will not do it.

verizon guarantees the speed from their proprietary network to the router in your home. WiFi is not guaranteed.

but hey it’s worth trying. But not going to be honored. And how would you prove the loss of 5ghz? Verizon will just keep replacing the router. 

0 Likes
wecoyote5
Enthusiast - Level 2

@rich_lux wrote:

@wecoyote5 wrote:

Hi all,

I don't want to hijack the thread so if anyone has just a quick answer I'd appreciate it. I am battling the same 5GHz radio issue as you all and I'm trying to go through the logs to try and identify a possible trigger for the radio going down and the log times are always 5hrs off of the real time. The router's system time is correct but the log times are always off. It makes it frustrating to review logs when the times aren't right.  I can obviously adjust for it but I was wondering if anyone knew why.

Thanks

The logs are probably using Greenwich Mean Time or Zulu Time which is currenlty 5 hours later than Eastern Standard Time.  Many logging systems do this so you don't need to know which timezone the log was created in.

Greenwich Mean Time

Rich

Thanks, had a feeling, just wanted to be sure. Side note, the logs suck.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless suddenly stops working, no idea why......
Mstrchfgms

Does anyone know what channels are recommended for the 5ghz channels?

0 Likes
Simbapenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well ladies and gentlemen, after about 5 or 6 days, I am now back in the land of the 5GHz disconnect.  I changed nothing.  

Here's a weird thing.  I haven't rebooted yet.  If I go to Wifi Analyzer on my phone there's a network on the 5GHz band that almost mirrors my regular one, but it's appearing and disappearing.  The MAC address of it isn't Guest Wireless but what's listed as the Broadband Connection in the router (:a7)?  How is that even possible?  I've downloaded all the logs, but I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.imagebut :a7 is the Broadband Connection not the 5GHzimage:a7 is listed as a 5GHz networkimageIt's there...imagethen it isn't. It comes in and out.

Bullet481
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I'm giving up for now.  Going to buy another router today.  Missing my 5ghz too much. Hate like heck to do it just cause of principal but when your use to something whatcha gonna  do?  My speeds without the 5ghz band have decreased by 8 times.  

I'm going to get a 2nd router and use it in access point mode disabling the wireless on the fios router. Choosing to go this route not to disturb any settings on the fios router.  

0 Likes
stever1388

Well turning off WMM worked for 2 days but now I'm disconnecting again. There doesn't seem to be a fix for it other than just getting another router or using the 2.4ghz connection.

0 Likes
FIOS Router losing 5Ghz connection while 2.4 Ghz connection works fine
jedaviso888

Folks,

I'm continually having an issue where the 5.0 Ghz access point gets disconnected.  By disconnected I mean, the 5.0 Ghz SSID is still shown, however you cannot connect to it, even if you're standing right next to the router.   There's a screenshot below that shows the router status of the 5.0 Ghz Access point as disconnected.  The 2.4 Ghz & 5.0 Ghz have different SSIDs and I've used a wifi analyzer app to ensure there's no channel interference.  I've tried setting the 5.0 Ghz point to a single channel.  Earlier this week I was sent a new router, but the issues still remains.

It happens once a day.  The only correction is to reboot the router.

The 2.4 Ghz connection works fine all the time.  

Any thoughts as to why this might be happening ? 

0 Likes
mikinvs

I've been experiencing the problems you've all been having.  When I changed the channel selection to "auto" for 5GHz, inSSIDer reported that my gateway is now utilizing DFS channels 132 and 136. My 5GHz connection has been stable for two days now. However, DFS means that some of my devices are now unable to detect my 5GHz network.

I live in an apartment complex, so I get congestion in both 2.4 an 5GHz bands. Something has definitely changed that has caused all of us here to experience our daily dropouts of 5GHz connectivity over the last several weeks. 

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Router losing 5Ghz connection while 2.4 Ghz connection works fine
ymDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are describing the exact issue that everyone here is having and it's been happening for a few weeks now.

Your 5ghz disconnects, you reboot the router. You're good for 24 hours and then the 5ghz disconnects all you devices again. 2.4 is always perfect.

The channel selection doesn't matter.

WMM disabling doesn't matter.

The type of device your using doesn't matter.

And to Verizon, you as a customer don't really matter.  All you can do is call them, explain to them what's happening, HAVE THEM ESCALATE IT TO TIER 2 SUPPORT.

The basic techs trouble shooting extends to, reboot the router, reset the router, or replace the router. Just keep calling it in over and over until it builds a big enough case.

Direct them to this thread. Have them read. They'll put you on hold and say they've read it, ASK them, call them out as to whether or not they've actually read it.

In the meantime, HERES A HINT that will save you time:

Instead of rebooting the router, just log in and change the channel on the 5ghz to anything. Just pick the next one. This will reboot the 5ghz antenna. This process takes 20 seconds instead of the 2 mins it takes to reboot the router and should bring back 5ghz instantaneously.

chubrock07
Enthusiast - Level 2

@simbapenn. Thank you for providing screen caps of all of that from WifiAnalyzer. I went through every step you did, found all of the same things you did, and was never given an answer. I just didn't post all the stuff you did ha.

I believe it was jonjones perhaps, that said the similar 5G network might have been the guest network. But it looks as though you've ruled that out. I did read in the DSLreports site that its possible the 'hidden' 5G band is something the ISP has pushed out in anticipation of Internet Of Things devices. I left it as that and moved on. I know thats not what you want to hear.

If you do discover the culprit of this hidden but similar 5G band please let me know. In my case I certainly found it is coming from the Router. (I also found that my XBOX prodcasts a signal of its own specifically designed to listen for the wireless controller, who knew). 

While I know this doesn't help, i just wanted to let you know, your effort is appreciated. As someone who went through every step you did for two straight days, its nice to know i'm not insane.

Also, To The Rest Of You Hear, I have been going strong on 5G since I disabled my WMM (QoS). I know some of you have claimed that didn't matter but so far so good for me, I think i'm on day 4 or 5 now. One thing I don't know if you all have running is MAC filtering, I have that on mine, just adding that as a possible different variable.

0 Likes